[spectre] Data Asymmetries // Part 2 : An Interview with Jussi Parikka

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:43:36 CET 2016

Sorry for any cross posting...

Data Asymmetries // Part 2 : An Interview with Jussi Parikka

In the second part of this two-part interview series Carleigh Morgan
interviews Jussi Parikka about Burak Arikan’s work, discussing the way data
and networks condition and construct the way we view and interact with the
world.

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/data-asymmetries-2-interview-jussi-parikka

Burak Arikan is one of Turkey’s leading media artists. Through his practice
he maps relations of power and invisible infrastructures using network
mapping tools. Arikan’s Graph Commons, an online network mapping tool, is
an open platform for the creation of networks that encourages its users to
explore the functional limits of network architectures as a mechanism for
storytelling, data visualization, and modelling our contemporary moment,
from graphing financial microtransactions to mapping superstructures
splayed across a continent.

Arikan’s most recent body of work, Data Asymmetry, was hosted at the
Winchester School of Art from November 10-24, 2016. The exhibition was
curated by new media theorist Jussi Parikka (Professor in Technological
Culture & Aesthetics at Winchester School of Art) who comments on the
themes, provocations, and challenges that this show invites its audience to
consider.

The first part of the series, an interview with Burak Arikan, can be read
here.
http://furtherfield.org/features/interviews/data-asymmetries-interview-burak-arikan