[spectre] V2_ newsletter December 2013

Arie A arie at v2.nl
Wed Dec 4 15:08:41 CET 2013

V2_ Newsletter December 2013

www.v2.nl

No holiday season yet at V2_. We will have two events in December, the
topics are space travel and food. And we’ll serve you some meat of the
future!

Blowup: Outer Space as Extreme Scenario
12 December 20:00 – 22:00
V2_ Eendrachtsstraat 10, 3012 XL Rotterdam
v2.nl/events/blowup-outer-space-as-extreme-scenario
Join us for an evening exploring the extreme scenario of outer space:
containing our visions, dreams, hopes, and nightmares for the future of
space exploration, travel, and living. The speakers will take us on a
journey through designing disasters to test astronauts to inner space as
extreme scenario, from Afrofuturism to the darkest visions of where our
ventures into the heavens can take us. The evening will also feature the
unveiling of a new art commission Paper Moon by Ilona Gaynor and Craig
Sinnamon, which will be on show until January 10th.

Test_lab: Art Meat Flesh
19 December 20:00 - 23:00
V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, 3012 XL Rotterdam
v2.nl/events/test_lab-art_meat_flesh
Will the turkey be served alive? Can meat be resurrected? Or made from
nonliving material? SymbioticA director Oron Catts -- the first person to
ever eat lab-grown meat -- will host this special Christmas edition of
Test_Lab on the fact, fiction, hype and mythology of advanced
food-technologies. As is custom to Test_Lab, the audience is invited to
assess and try everything themselves. If you are still in the dark about
what to serve your guests for Christmas and want to try something radical,
you may want a taste of what the more eccentric figures in the lab-grown
meat debate will serve in this revolutionary cooking battle. This event
also inaugurates V2_’s own kitchen.

On the Threshold of Beauty
Kees Tazelaar’s book On the Threshold of Beauty in now available in the V2_
webshop. It makes a perfect Christmas gift!
webshop.v2.nl/v2-webshop/t-series/on-the-threshold-of-beauty
In On the Threshold of Beauty Kees Tazelaar meticulously reconstructs the
birth and evolution of electronic music in the Netherlands from 1925 till
1965. It is th compelling story of the development of electronic music at
the Philips research laboratory, the collaboration between Xenakis, Le
Corbusier and Varèse on the now legendary Philips Pavilion at the 1958
World Expo, and the first studios for electronic music in the Netherlands
with key figures like Dick Raaymakers and Gottfried Michael Koenig. The
book is lavishly illustrated. Order here:
webshop.v2.nl/v2-webshop/t-series/on-the-threshold-of-beauty

Ebooks at V2_
v2.nl/publishing/e-books
v2.nl/publishing/the-vibrancy-effect
As you might know, we make ebooks at V2_ as well. Several are free
downloads, such as the Blowup Readers (available as epub, mobi and pdf).
There are two new ones coming up real soon. One is about Cecilia Johnson’s
Iron Ring project, the other one is the result of a Book Sprint we did in
Aalborg, Denmark, as part of an expert meeting and workshop on ‘extreme
scenario’s’. And then there’s the real sleeper: The Vibrancy Effect, edited
by Chris Salter, with contributions by bright minds like Andrew Pickering
and Sally Jane Norman. This ebook costs 7,99 (download from the
NAi-bookstore) but it comes with video’s and we think it’s worth the price.
As a teaser we put the texts by Chris Salter and Tagny Duff online.

Watch that Sound in Surinam
v2.nl/lab/blog/watch-that-sound-in-surinam
Watch that Sound is a digital tool for children and young people to learn
and play with the composition and processing of sound and images. V2_lab
has worked on the technical realization of this tool, an idea of music
instructor Jacques van de Veerdonk. Recently Watch that Sound traveled to
Surinam on invitation by Dutch embassy in Paramaribo. Children from the
village Matta were the first ones to work with the new version of Watch
that Sound.

You can also follow V2_ on google+, facebook and twitter