[spectre] a question of translation

ctgr-pavu.com ctgr at free.fr
Sat Nov 19 16:38:53 CET 2005

Le 19 nov. 05, à 12:45, Franck Ancel a écrit :

> You can find another good articles in english of Jean B. on the web
> here:
> http://www.ctheory.net/home.aspx
> We will forget the french potatoes ! Thanks to Louise.

I found a translation of J.B's text on a french list.
It is rather rough, but i guess it fits to the issue.

_______________outov nettime-fr-raw_________________________

Column "Bounces" in Liberation/ Rubrique "Rebonds" in Libération (FR)
http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=339243

Note (English speaking): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supr%C3%AAme_NTM

Fuck your mother! (NTM)
Jean Baudrillard

Burned cars and not in the referendum are the phases of the same still
unfinished revolt.

  Will have to have to burn in a single night 1 500 cars, then, in order
decreasing, 900, 500, 200, until get closer of "normal" daily, so that
we
notice that every night 90 cars on average burned in our sweet France. A
sort of perpetual flame, as that of the Triumphal arch, burning in
homage to
the unknown Immigrant. Today recognized, the time of a heart-rending
revision, but everything in trompe-l'oeil.

A matteris sure, it is that the French exception, which had begun with
Tchernobyl, is past. Our border was well violated by the radioactive
cloud,
and the " French model " collapses well under our eyes. But, let us feel
reassured, it is not the only French model which collapses, it is the
western whole model that splits, not only under the external blow of a
violence (that of the terrorism or the Africans taking of assault barbed
wires of Melilla), but still from the inside.

  The first conclusion - And this cancels all the homilies and the
current
speeches - it is that a society itself in process of destruction has no
luck(chance) to be able to integrate its immigrants, because they are
at the
same moment the result and the wild analyzer of this destruction. The
cruel
reality it is because if the immigrants are virtually offside, us, us
are
profoundly in escheat and in the evil of identity. The immigration and
its
problems are only the symptoms of the dissociation of our
company(society)
battling against itself. Or still: the social question of the
immigration is
only a more visible, more unrefined illustration, of the exile of the
European in its own society ( Hélé Béji ). The unacceptable truth is
there:
it is us who do not integrate even any more our own values and, as a
result,
for lack of assuming them, we do not have more than to re-spin them to
the
others one way or another.

  We are not any more capable of proposing whatever it is in terms of
integration - moreover, the integration in which? - we are the sad
example
of a "successful" integration, that of a totally trivialized, technical
and
comfortable way of life, on which we take well care of not wondering any
more. Thus, to speak about integration in the name of an untraceable
definition of France, it is simply for the Frenchmen to dream
desperately
about their own integration.

  And we shall not move of a line as long as we shall not have become
aware that it is our company(society) which, by its process of
socialization, secretes and continues to secrete every day this
inexorable
discrimination the immigrants of which are the indicated victims, but
not
the only ones. It is the balance of an uneven exchange of the
"democracy".
This society has to face a test more terrible than that of the opposite
forces: that of its own absence, its loss of reality, such as it will
not
soon have other definition anymore than that of the foreign bodies which
haunt its suburb, of those whom it expelled and which, now, expel it
from
itself, but which the violent interpellation at the same moment reveals
what
comes undone in its and wakes a sort of awareness. If it managed to
integrate them, it would definitively stop existing with the own eyes.

  But, once again, this discrimination in the French is only the
micromodel of a world fracture which continues, under the sign exactly
of
the globalization, to put face to face two implacable universes. And the
same analysis as us make of our situation can be echoed at the global
level.
In knowledge that the international terrorism is itself only the
symptom of
the dissociation of the world power battling against itself. As if to
looking for a solution, the error is the same at the various levels,
whether
it is that of our suburbs or Islamic countries: it is the total illusion
that by bringing up the rest of the world at the level of life
Westerner, we
shall have settled the question. Now, the fracture is deeper, and all
the
reunited western powers would really want it (what all the reasons of
which
we have for doubting), that they could not reduce any more this
fracture. It
is the mechanism from their survival and from their superiority that
prevents them from it - mechanism which, through all the pickets speech
on
the universal values, is only strengthening this power, and stirring up
the
threat of an opposing coalition of forces which will destroy itor dream
destroy it.

  Fortunately or regrettably, we have no more the initiative, we do not
have any more, as we had her during centuries, the control of the
events,
and on us smooth a succession of unpredictable returns of fire. We can
regret afterward this bankruptcy of the western world, but " God smiles
of
those that he sees denouncing the troubles the cause of which they are
".

  This tongue of flame of suburbs is thus directly connected to a world
situation; but it is also - what question of which it is strangely
never -
in a recent episode of our history carefully hidten since, on the same
mode
of misunderstanding as that of suburbs, namely the event of in the
referendum. Because of those who voted for it without knowing too much
why,
simply because they did not want to play this game set, in which they
had so
been often trapped, because they refused too to be automatically
integrated
into it yes supernatural of Europe " key in hand ", this No there was
indeed
the expression of the unsold articles of the system of the
representation,
the exiles of the representation - just like the immigrants themselves,
exiled by the system of socialization. The same unconsciousness, the
same
irresponsibility in this act to stubble Europe, as those of the young
immigrants who burn their own districts, their own schools, as the
blacks of
Watts and Detroit in the 60s.

  A good part of the population lives so, culturally and politically, as
immigrant in its own country, which cannot offer him / her even any
more a
definition of its own national membership. All withdrawn, according to
Robert Castel's term. Now, of the cancellation in the desafio, in the
challenge, there is not far. All these outcasts, these withdrawn, that
they
are of suburb, African or French " nativ from the origin ", make of
their
cancellation a challenge, and pass in the act at the moment or in the
other
one. It is the only way, offensive, they not were humbled, neither left
any
more for account, nor of even took care. Because I am not sure - and
this is
another aspect of the problem, masked by a political sociology " typical
from us ", that of the insertion, the employment, the security-, I am
not
sure that they have, as we hope for it, so envy to be reinstated nor
taken
care. I am not sure that their reaction to a too well calculated care is
not instinctively the same that in the exclusion and in the repression.

  The western culture remains only of the desire besides of the world to
reach it. When appears the slightest sign of refusal, the slightest
retreat
of desire, not only it loses any superiority, but she(it) loses any
seduction with the own eyes. Now, it is exactly all that she(it) has to
offer of "better", cars, schools, shopping centres, which are burned
and put
in bag. Nursery schools! Exactly all by that we would like to integrate
them, to mother them!... " Nique your mother ", it is at the bottom
their
slogan. And the more we shall try to mother them, the more they
niqueront
their mother. We would indeed make see againour humanitarian psychology.

  Nothing will prevent our politicians and our intellectuals enlightened
to consider these events as minor setbacks on the way of a democratic
reconciliation of all the cultures - everything carries to consider on
the
contrary that it is the successive phases of the revolt which is not to
come
to an end.

J.B.