[wos] Thank you for WOS 3!

Volker Grassmuck vgrass at rz.hu-berlin.de
Sun Jul 11 14:17:02 CEST 2004

Dear Speakers, Moderators and Workshop Leaders of WOS 3,

I can‘t believe that it‘s already a month ago that it all happened.
High time to send a big THANK YOU to all of you. Also in the name of
the whole team, I can say it was a pleasure working with you. The
feedback that we received from you and from the participants was very
positive. Many people talked about a warm, cooperative, productive
atmosphere. Some were outright enthusiastic, calling it one of the
best conferences they‘ve ever been to.  How productive, we still have
to find out. We would like to hear about your experiences, especially
about new projects that were born at WOS 3. E.g., Guido Sohne told us
that, as a direct result of interactions at WOS, a Creative Commons
effort started in Ghana.

All in all, we were about 500 people. The live-streams were accessed
3,000 times. The press reaction was also quite nice, with the
Creative Commons launch and the Berlin Declaration on Collectively
Managed Online Rights receiving most of the single issue coverage.
Have a look at: http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=74&L=3
If you have seen or possibly written other articles not listed here,
please let us know.

There were some organizational glitches that we are aware of. If you
have experienced others, and if you have ideas and possibly tools to
improve things for WOS 4, we‘d be very grateful to hear about it. If
you like you can also use the feedback page in the WOS Wiki:
http://wiki.wizards-of-os.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Feedback_For_WOS_3

It will take a little while longer before we can say more on the
financial outcome, but for now it looks like we‘ve done ok. There
seems to be little danger that we‘ll have to wash dishes for the next
half year to pay back our debts ,-) You can help us speed up the
process by quickly sending us the materials for you travel
reimbursement if you haven‘t done so yet. Please send the original
travel documents and an invoice including your bank information to:

WOS e.V.
Spremberger Str. 1
D-12047 Berlin

If you live inside Europe, bank information should consist of
* name of account holder
* name of bank
* IBAN and BIC

If you reside outside Europe, please include
* name and address of account holder
* name and address of bank
* BIC or SWIFT

DOCUMENTATION

We want to have as rich a documentation of WOS 3 as possible. The
videos of all talks in the two main tracks are currently being
encoded and will be linked directly into the session pages:
http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?1555&L=3

The WOS 3 becomes much more accessible, e.g. via search engines, if
its presentations also exist in writing. Therefore we would like to
ask those of you who haven't done so to contribute the manuscript of
your lecture. Only after we‘re done with finances will we know
whether there is money left to transcribe your talks. Please don‘t
count on it. If you want to have your text accessible in WOS space
please send it.

Please also send your slides and other materials or links that you
think useful in the context of your contribution. You can direct all
mail to info at wizards-of-os.org.

There are photos online already by Robert Guerra and Lukas Gwardak:
http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=56&L=3
If you have taken photos or videos that you would like to share, they
are very welcome.

I‘ll send out another mail, once the videos and more of the
documentation is online. If you have updates on the issues of your
talk or any other information you want to share with the WOS
community, you can either send it to info at wizards-of-os.org, and
we‘ll put it up on the website, or you can post it directly to the
mailinglist at wos at post.openoffice.de.

We hope to continue the discussions with you. Thanks again for
everything.

Yours
Volker Grassmuck

--