[spectre] what is required so that everybody can live in peace and freedom

Mathias Fuchs mathias.fuchs at creativegames.org.uk
Mon Mar 7 14:25:39 CET 2022

Dear Andreas,

good question (see below) and a difficult one too.

At the moment there are discussions across different parties and groups
in Austria to consider whether the "eternal neutrality" that has been
negotiated and agreed upon by Austria, the US, France, UK and the Soviet
Union in 1955, should be abolished and instead an attempt should be made
that Austria becomes a NATO member.

I don't know whether this would be major breach of international law. It
probably is. I think, however, for countries who can avoid becoming
militarised, this sticking to non-interference in wars is a chance for
what you are looking for: peace and freedom!

I am worried that the Austrians are about to raise military budget -
that was below 1% of the gross domestic product - to 1% now. From 2010
to 2020 the expenses for the Austrian military services have always been
in between 0.7 ot 0.8 % of the GDP. Now Bundeskanzler Karl Nehammer asks
for an increase to 1% and in the end there is a goal to raise it to 2%
of the GDP.

This is not just a cosmetic change. It means that other sectors of
society (the arts, culture, schools, the health sector) will have to get
accustomed to savings policies.

Now here is my answer to your question of how can we live in peace and
freedom: Maybe we should stick to neutrality, maybe we should spend the
money our nation has  - and that is our money, tax money and other -on
kindergardens, schools, on a lively artistic scene, on a critical
infrastructure of activists and intellectuals. !!!   And not spend our
money on missiles, tanks and mid range rockets.

What about that?

Mathias (and once more: I am not advocating the Russian invasion, I have
high sympathies for the civil population in the Ucraine)

--
Dr. habil. Mathias Fuchs
IFK Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften

Institute of Culture and Aesthetics of Digital Media (ICAM)
  Universitätsstr. 1
  21335 Lüneburg

Co-Editor Journal Digital Culture & Society
http://www.transcript-verlag.de/zeitschriften/digital-culture-und-society/

Residential Address: Kleistgasse 9, 1030 Wien, Austria
http://creativegames.org.uk/