[spectre] a terrible day

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Mon Mar 7 12:05:23 CET 2022

Dear Lanfranco,

I would like to come back briefly to your long argument, and make two
points.

Am 02.03.22 um 19:42 schrieb Lanfranco Aceti:
> Like you, I very much like facts, but I think
> you might be too confident in the 'innocence of NATO'

I didn't say, and I didn't mean to say that NATO is inncocent per se; I
do however believe that Putin's government and the Russian military are
responsible for the military attack on Ukraine, for the ongoing killing
and destruction. In your message, you remind us of many historical
facts, and it is not entirely clear from your argument whether you see
those historical events as a way to explain, or to justify the Russian
attacks. I presume that it is the former, i.e. that you want to offer a
historical analysis. But you basically only write about faults of the US
and NATO over the past 60 years, and not half as much about the current
war. - The impression that your discourse thus creates is that you think
the West, NATO, and consecutive US governments in particular somehow
provoked and necessitated the Russian attack. - As a German pacifist and
voter of the Green Party who is currently represented by Annalena
Baerbock as the German minister of foreign affairs, I find your argument
untenable (and to me it sounds revanchist, even though I find it hard to
imagine that you intend that).

My second point concerns something that you appear to firmly believe and
that you reiterate five or six times (see some further examples, below):

> and yes, unfortunately so, the world is divided into imperialistic
> spheres of influence.

I'm not a political scientist, but my feeling is that this is not
necessarily a fact, but a trope that is used to explain the geopolitical
situation. I think that it was definitely like that until the 1990s,
large parts of the world divided between the spheres of influence of the
US on one side, and the USSR  on the other. But I wonder whether this is
still the case, whether (for example) the NATO of 1988 is still the same
as the NATO of 2022 - with Poland, Hungary, Romania, and others as
member states, and governments including Biden/Harris,
Scholz/Baerbock/Habeck, Orban, Morawiecki/Duda, Sanchez, etc.

What if the hypothesis of the "spheres of influence" was incorrect? What
if there is now a more diverse, less consistent, also more fluid
geopolitical situation in which agency is not primarily determined by
the acknowledgement of the efficacy of such "spheres of influence"?
(Isn't this hypothesis one of the main points of Putin's justification
of the war on Ukraine?)

Personally, I would prefer to start the conversation with the simple
question, what is required so that everybody can live in peace and
freedom? And rather than assume a trope like the "spheres of influence"
as a given, I would only want to discuss how this war can be stopped,
and how a situation in which future wars can be prevented.

Best regards,
-a