[spectre] Lessons from the Luddites - By Alex McLean

Marc.garrett marc.garrett at protonmail.com
Sat Jun 3 12:03:02 CEST 2017

Sorry for any cross posting...

Lessons from the Luddites - By Alex McLean

"In which the spectre of the Luddite software engineer is raised, in an AI-driven future where programming languages become commercially redundant, and therefore take on new cultural significance."

Threats to human labour from mechanisation affected millworkers of the Industrial Revolution just as AI and Deep Learning threaten the programmers of today.

What can we learn from historical resistances to automation? Can we envisage a future where programming is liberated from a military-industrial imperative and dedicated to creative pursuits?

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/articles/lessons-luddites

Marc Garrett

Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.
Art, technology and social change, since 1996
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery & Commons in the park

Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQhttp://www.furtherfield.org/gallery
Currently writing a PhD at Birkbeck University, London
https://birkbeck.academia.edu/MarcGarrett

Curating, Touring Exhibition
Monsters of the Machine:Frankenstein in the 21st Century
At Laboral, Spain until Sept 2017 http://bit.ly/2eGdpw1
Visiting other countries soon...