[spectre] D I S N O V A T I O N [aka. the propaganda of innovation]

Nicolas Maigret peripheriques at free.fr
Sun Aug 24 23:45:00 CEST 2014

[sorry for x-posting]

Dear all,
We are pleased to announce the "D I S N O V A T I O N" research,
which will lead to a few events beginning this fall.
http://disnovation.net/

# PRESENTATION
# DISNOVATION | @ ACCES)S( FESTIVAL |  Oct 8th > Dec 6th, 2014
# ART HACK DAY - PARIS | Aug 30th, 2014, 7pm > Late
# LINKS AND RESOURCES

# PRESENTATION
http://disnovation.net/

    DISNOVATION (aka. the propaganda of innovation)
    A critical exploration of the mechanisms
    and rhetoric of innovation

Over the past few decades, industrialized societies have experienced an
unprecedented technological boom. The advent of information and
communication technologies, irrigating whole domains of our existence,
has deeply transformed our relationship with the surrounding world. This
global phenomenon has contributed to put techno-sciences at the core of
our belief systems and the consumption / innovation duality as the
driving force behind our economy.

The notion of innovation is the ultimate contemporary rhetorical tool,
spreading from the techno-scientific field into the sectors of politics,
management, eduction and art.
Thus we arrive at the hypothesis of a possible "propaganda of
innovation", as an ideology aiming to solve any need, problem, or desire
through the production of constantly changing artifacts and concepts,
justifying technological obsolescence in the name of short-term economic
vitality.

This simple hypothesis raises many questions:
*    Is the continuous rush towards novelty and the negation of
preceding values a human necessity, an intuitive tendency, an end in itself?
*    Is innovation the expression of a peculiar ideal whose purposes are
dictated by mere economic and industrial choices?
*    How do artists become tacit agents in the spreading and
popularization of innovations?
*    What kind of critical, subversive, poetic or alternative practices
does this situation generate in return?

DISNOVATION is an open event protocol that spreads across a wide range
of documents, installations, films, concerts, workshops and lectures.
-
Nicolas Maigret, Bertrand Grimault [2012-2014]

# DISNOVATION | @ ACCES)S( FESTIVAL
http://festival.acces-s.org/festival-2014/about

    Exhibition: Oct. 8th- Dec. 6th, 2014
    @ Le Bel Ordinaire - Pau/Billière, France
    Festival: Nov. 13th -16th 2014
    @ Le Bel Ordinaire - Pau/Billière - France

More info, including artists and lecturers contributions, to come soon.
-
Starting with the hypothesis of a possible "propaganda of innovation" as
one of the ideological driving forces of our time, the 2014 edition of
the Accès(s) Festival aims to explore the notions of global
digitalization, technological fetishism, obsolescence, artificial
intelligence - as well as their potential diversions and appropriations
- from a critical angle, via artistic and theoretical propositions. This
edition will take the form of both an exhibition and an event consisting
of concerts, performances, lectures, screenings and workshops.

With talks by: Matteo Pasquinelli, Alessandro Ludovico, Eric Sadin...
& artworks by: Julian Oliver, Jodi.org, Evan Roth, Rybn, Julien
Prévieux, The Center for Genomic Gastronomy, The Terminator Studies, Set
Up Shop...

# ART HACK DAY PARIS
http://www.arthackday.net/events/disnovate

    Closing exhibit & party (free public admission)
    Saturday August 30th, 2014 - 7 pm > late
    Parsons Paris - 45 rue Saint-Roch - 75001 Paris

"Disnovate" is a collaboration between Art Hack Day, Parsons Paris and
Accès(s) festival. Between August 28-30, artists and hackers will
inhabit Parsons Paris to create a flash exhibit on the theme
"Disnovate?, in anticipation of the next Accès(s) festival in Pau.
-
Disruptive innovation is widely heralded as the driving force of
progress, influencing all walks of life. Its vocabulary has seeped into
domains as disparate as politics, education, or art. Computer culture is
not immune: Hackathons have turned into rallies for smarter, cheaper and
faster consumption. What role does the whimsical and useless play in
this society? Can we evaluate creation without resorting to conceptions
of value? What worldview is implied by the language of disruption; what
does it clarify and what does it obscure? As artists we have an urge to
break with the past and embrace novelty, ignoring the pioneers of our
field. As hackers we reap the benefits of scientific breakthroughs,
oblivious to its military-industrial foundation. Are we the apostles of
a broader ideology of innovation?

With: HeHe, Evan Roth, Benjamin Gaulon, Gijs Gieskes, Rybn, Olof Mathé,
Nicolas Maigret, Jean-Baptiste Bayle, DarDex, Cécile Babiole...

# LINKS

Main website: 		http://disnovation.net/
Research blog: 		http://disnovation.tumblr.com/
Arthackday: 		http://www.arthackday.net/events/disnovate
Acces)s( festival: 	http://festival.acces-s.org/festival-2014/about
FB page: 		https://www.facebook.com/groups/DISNOVATION/
DISNOVATION Newsletter	http://disnovation.net/mailing.html

More details and press release on request.
We're still open for relevant suggestions to be included in future events.
Warm regards from Paris,
-Nicolas