[spectre] the subjective value of art – a mathematical formula?

Armin Medosch armin at easynet.co.uk
Mon May 30 14:04:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

I actually don't have time but it reminds strongly of Birkhoff's
aesthetic measure cf
http://www.fi.muni.cz/reports/files/older/FIMU-RS-99-06.pdf

This was picked up by Max Bense in the 1950s who tried to merge it with
information theory. Similar but different Abraham Moles who elaborated a
measure of originality, also starting with Birkhoff, information theory
and cybernetics, but also a very deterministic type of behaviorist
cultural sociology, see "Information theory and aesthetic
perception" (1966). Their approaches did not prove to be very fruitful
in the long run as regards more narrowly the application of mathematics
to artistic tastes but did inspire some artists to make interesting
things.

more valuable for your interest but also problematic for reasons which
to explain would take an afternoon is Jack Burnhams Structure in Art
(1971) who tries to find the deep structure of art using Lévi-Strauss,
Barthes, Chomsky but also Bourbaki mathematics and Klein Group theory.
the book is hard to find but it seems very close to your endeavour. If
anybody knows a good critique of Burnham's book I would be grateful.

I have been reflecting on similar issues in this text
http://www.thenextlayer.org/node/1365

regards
Armin