[spectre] (fwd) Sign the Petition: Release Ai Weiwei

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Fri Apr 15 02:23:20 CEST 2011

Hallo Heath...

> this seems a very similar situation to julian assange. instead of the social
> network supporting a member of the blood rank, we should be supporting social
> justice and human rights and those that work using such methods

Right, but I'd qualify it further --

I'd say people should be supporting (and adopting the practices of!) the small
silent voices of those who work in the outward direction of human obligations,
rather that the inward and self-centric direction of human rights, as Simone
Weil so correctly observed ...  This would eliminate the economy of attention
just as surely as a cessation of shopping will eliminate capitalism ...

or ...

jh