[spectre] Becoming Transreal today at 4pm PST/SLT!

micha cárdenas azdelslade at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:43:49 CET 2010

Performance by Micha Cárdenas and Elle Mehrmand in collaboration Chris Head

UCLA Freud Playhouse<http://www.tft.ucla.edu/calendar/performance/transreal-bodies/>
November 3rd, 4pm
Co-sponsored by The Center for Performance
Studies<http://www.performancestudies.ucla.edu/transreal.html>,
the UCLA Department of Theater and CRCA
 <http://crca.ucsd.edu/>Panel after the performance at 5pm with Sandy Stone,
Amy Sara Carroll and Ricardo Dominguez

Go here in Second Life to see Becoming Transreal!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Odyssey/232/31/601
In "Real life" come see the full mixed reality event with 3D stereoscopic
projection and motion capture at the UCLA Freud Playhouse. Directions
here<http://www.tft.ucla.edu/facilities/freud-playhouse/>

What if you could become anything? What happens after species change surgery
becomes a reality? *becoming transreal* speculates on a future in which the
promises of bionanotechnology have become realized, and yet as capitalism
has continued to fail, both the interiors of our bodies and the virtual
world have become totally commodified. you can become anything, but to
finance your whims of identity transformation, the same nanohormones that
transform your body are also producing drugs for others. *becoming transreal
* looks at transgender experience through a lens of slipstream science
fiction poetry. The performance uses motion capture to interface with Second
Life avatars and 3D stereoscopic imagery to immerse the audience in this
transreal world.

Inspired in part by *Tales from the Matter Market* <http://pitmm.net/> and a
continuation of *Becoming Dragon* <http://secondloop.wordpress.com/>, this
performance asks what our lives are like when we have become both the
factory and the product, asks how we can resist capitalism when
neoliberalism’s collapse has wound itself into the perfection of a single
atom, into the fabric of beauty and into our most intimate emotions.
In *becoming
transreal,* Cárdenas and Mehrmand will use devices sold both for
quasi-medical purposes and for sexual pleasure, part of the economies of
medicalized sexuality, the grey area of “elective” medical products and
medical play sex toys, to make visible the pain of transition.

Co-sponsored by the Department of Theater, the School of Theater, Film, and
Television, LGBT Studies, the Center for the Study of Women and The Center
for Research in Engineering, Media and Performance. Additional support
provided by San Diego State University’s Second Life Initiative, Aztlan
Island <http://sdsu-aztlan.wikispaces.com/>.

This event is free and open to the general public.

thanks,

  micha

--
micha cárdenas

Co-Author, Trans Desire / Affective Cyborgs, Atropos Press,
http://is.gd/daO00
Lecturer, Visual Arts Department, University of California, San Diego
Lecturer, Critical Gender Studies Program, University of California, San
Diego
Artist/Researcher, UCSD School of Medicine
Artist/Theorist, bang.lab, http://bang.calit2.net

blog: http://transreal.org

gpg: http://is.gd/ebWx9