[spectre] Paul B. Davis at Seventeen, London

Heather Corcoran heather.corcoran at fact.co.uk
Wed May 13 14:38:00 CEST 2009

PAUL B. DAVIS [BEIGE]
DEFINE YOUR TERMS (OR KANYE WEST FUCKED UP MY SHOW)
WEDNESDAY 27TH MAY - SATURDAY 4TH JUL 2009
PRIVATE VIEW - Thursday 28th May

www.seventeengallery.com
17 KINGSLAND ROAD LONDON E2 8AA

Paul B. Davis' probing, contemplative second solo show at SEVENTEEN
represents a bold step forward for the artist...though not necessarily
one he expected to take. It was instigated by a semi-voluntary rejection
of a practice that, until very recently, was central to his creative
output and figured prominently in his debut exhibition at the gallery -
Intentional Computing (2007). A curious turn of events led to this
unforeseen repudiation and redefinition of practice:

'I woke up one morning in March to a flood of emails telling me to look
at some video on YouTube. Seconds later saw I Kanye West strutting
around in a field of digital glitches that looked exactly like my work.
It fucked my show up...the very language I was using to critique pop
content from the outside was now itself a mainstream cultural reference.'

Contentiously dubbed 'datamoshing', (or 'compression aesthetics', as
Davis prefers to describe it), this practice ultimately emerged out of
artefacts inherent in the compression algorithms of digitally
distributed media. Davis seized upon the glitchy pixellation that is
often present while viewing YouTube clips or Digital TV, and repurposed
it as a tool of cultural rupture. Alongside other artists such as Paper
Rad, Sven Konig and Takeshi Murata, he engaged this effect as a tool for
aestheticized intervention, a fresh framework for analysis, and a new
visual language.

In contemporary culture, mainstream media pilfering of independent
artistic production is expected. Moreover, it's a generative force -
renegade practice and/or methodology is forced into evolution by the
appropriation of its pioneering techniques. But for Davis this perhaps
inevitable incorporation by Kanye West, the self proclaimed 'voice of
this generation', served as a trigger to directly engage his growing
concern that current artistic methods for grappling with digital culture
- hacks, remixes, and 'mash-ups' among them - are ill-equipped for
sustaining serious and self-reflexive critical examination. As Davis has
commented, 'These methods generate riffs...restatements or celebrations
of existing cultural behaviours, and artists who use them are seemingly
unable to either offer incisive alternatives or generate new cultural
forms. I was one of these artists, making these riffs, and I'd come to
realize their limitations.'

Define Your Terms (or Kanye West Fucked Up My Show) concerns Davis'
attempt to understand, react to, and depart from this crossroads. The
works in the exhibition, many of which disavow his previous modes of
hacking or mashing-up existing digital artefacts, have all been produced
in the past two months, and will instead propose some alternate
strategies for provocatively getting under the skin of Civilisation 2.0.

In Codec (2009), Davis' created his own proprietary video
compression/decompression algorithm, free of now-standardized templating
and presets. This algorithm is - defiantly - unavailable for commercial
use. With Critical Space Headgear (2009) a head-mounted video camera is
fed to a head-mounted display, the resolution of camera output and
viewed input being reduced to 320x200 pixels thereby creating a
self-mediated 'reality' that's flattened in real-time to the same
dimensions as YouTube. In The Symbol Grounding Problem (2009) Davis
simultaneously ingests a bacon sandwich while defecating in a perspex
box as philosopher Luciano Floridi narrates the viewer through what they
see onscreen as the interaction of dynamic informational entities.
Floridi asserts that as we move closer towards the singularity - the
future point in which human consciousness merges with the consciousness
of our machinic progeny - our own experiential trajectory in the
physical world will become secondary to the interaction of
informationally-modeled simulacrum. This inevitable futurity is
reinforced while experiencing the most base, mundane of bodily functions
- simply taking a poo.

In this way, the works in this show are built. They are constructed out
of whole cloth. There are no naive uses of technology here as they turn
away from seemingly arbitrary, uninterrogated appropriation of
digi-cultural artefacts and seek to offer alternative strategies for
taking on the protocols of new media. In essence, Define Your Terms (or
Kanye West Fucked Up My Show) is an exhibition about Davis breaking free
from his own creative paradigm and setting forth a revivified agenda.
Through radical reevaluation of his process, Davis has offered some new
approaches for tackling the hovering questions that are relentlessly
generated by this - our age of over-caffeinated cultural cycles, empty
signifiers, and supreme technological oversaturation.

Kanye West's recent video for his track Welcome To Heartbreak (2009):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZRU7360O8

Compression Study #1 (Untitled data mashup) by Paul B. Davis [BEIGE] and
Jacob Ciocci (Paper Rad), 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWG5jqzYsEI

Compression Study #4 (barney) by Paul B. Davis [BEIGE], 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iRKxK6suF0

BIO

Lives and works in London, UK. Founded the BEIGE Programming Ensemble
with Joe Beuckman, Cory Arcangel and Joseph Bonn. While still in college
in the late 90s Davis pioneered the use of hacked video game cartridges
as an art practice. His Nintendo work was premiered in 2000 and
subsequently BEIGE members used hacked NES systems to create a distinct
body of work that has been shown internationally. Davis created The
BEIGE Cassette Jockey Championships, the world's only cassette
tape-based performance competition, and performing as 'DJ Spin-Laden' is
the only DJ to ever get thrown off stage at the Technics/DMC World DJ
Championships. Recent projects include solo exhibitions in Milan and
Chicago, performing music and wizardy in a duo with DJ LeDeuce [Thrill
Jockey] known as The Potions, and DJ'ing in the elevator of the Akademie
der Kunste, Berlin. Currently a lecturer in Fine Art at Goldsmiths
College, working on his Ph.D, and producing beats for St. Louis rapper
'Wonton'.