[spectre] Art University Linz institutes a new award

Aileen Derieg emonk at eliot.priv.at
Wed May 13 13:04:57 CEST 2009

[For background and more information about police violence at the May 1st demo
in Linz, see: http://gegenpolizeigewalt.servus.at]

We cordially invite you to

the award of the ?Goldenes Rueckgrat/Golden Backbone?
on 19 May 2009 at 7 pm
in the large hall of the
Offenes Kulturhaus Upper Austria
Dametzstrasse 30, 4020 Linz

It cannot be that civil courage is politically penalized in our country.

Especially in times of crisis, in which media and politics like to appeal to
the fundamental principles of human communality, it is a scandal that a
member of our community is punished and subjected to political pressure for
attempting to prevent violence against someone weaker.
We specifically refer to the events of 1 May 2009 in Linz and to the arrest of
the Vice Rector of the Art University, Rainer Zendron. The few statements
from politicians that have made it into the media have all been personal
attacks ? see, for instance, commentaries in the newspaper OOe Nachrichten
from 4 May 2009 ? and only a few public voices spoken up in his defence.
Therefore, it is up to us as committed members of the Art University Linz to
put Rainer Zendron as a person and in his importance for the way our
university works into the right light.

For this reason, we have initiated a distinction that is to be awarded
annually starting this year to those persons who have especially
distinguished themselves by their outstanding civil courage.
This prize is to be ceremoniously awarded on 19 May 2009 at 7 pm in the large
hall of the Offenes Kulturhaus Upper Austria to Vice Rector Rainer Zendron.

In this way, we seek to demonstrate not only that we take a position as a
united body ? as the university ? on this situation set in motion by the
incident on May 1st, but also to express solidarity with the victims of
police violence and arbitrariness, who unfortunately have no lobby in the
media.

We are an educational institution! And we will not accept being put under
pressure, neither from the media nor from party politics! And we call for the
charges against Rainer Zendron and the other persons arrested on 1 May 2009
to be dropped!