[spectre] Arts and Sciences

neuemethode at kein.org neuemethode at kein.org
Wed Mar 1 13:35:10 CET 2006

Dear all,
if we ask for the relationship between science and art, then this happens
in a context, which itself disappears in the act of questioning. The
question for the relationship between art and science seems only then
revealing, when it observes the context, from where it asks: Is it about
treating science with artistical instruments? Is it about opening with
theoretical instruments in the field of arts a certain space of
reflection? Or is it about a third goal, for which the mixture of art and
science could be fruitful?

glück zu allen!
tnvh

Simon Biggs said:
> I agree with Geert's comments about how the sciences are popularly
> associated with lab coats and the physical sciences and thus diminished.
> Note that in my previous post I explicitly refered to the social sciences,
> commenting on collaborations between artists and those working in those
> areas in the UK. One of the most productive collaborations I ever engaged
> with was with an anthropologist. It might be that the professional demands
> of that science tend to make the people who work in that field a joy to
> work
> with (eg: they are professionally "nice" people - unlike most artists and
> physicists ;)
>
> Certainly, this last observation (about personality) is key to the success
> of any collaboration. People who work together should also be able to play
> together...and here I mean not only going out for a social drink but also
> the "play" which is at the centre of any creative enterprise.
>
> Best
>
> Simon
>

> On 28.02.06 08:22, Geert Lovink wrote:
>
>> Hi, why is art & science equal to 'bioart'? Why are the social sciences
>> excluded in this whole debate? They are not science and who has decided
>> this? The whole fixation on the figure of the laboratory engineer and
>> so-called 'hard sciences' (read: real, not virtual) always fascinated
>> me as to me this whole contruct is nothing but a phantasma of (certain)
>> artists (and their funders such as Langois) dreaming up some imaginary
>> power in society that the arts sector lost, long time ago and now
>> projects onto so-called hard sciences. Best, Geert
>

> Simon Biggs
>
> simon at littlepig.org.uk
> http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
>
> Professor of Digital Art, Sheffield Hallam University
> http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/

NEU:
http://www.formatLabor.net