[spectre] Fwd: Rob van Kranenburg Re: media labs

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Wed Sep 14 09:37:05 CEST 2005

Datum: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:27:05 +0100
    Von: Rob van Kranenburg <kranenbu at xs4all.nl>
Antwort an: Rob van Kranenburg <kranenbu at xs4all.nl>
 Betreff: Re: media labs
      An: roberta.alvarenga at gmail.com

Dear Roberta and hi everyone,

It's amazing how good this is all turning out. And how fundamentally
global as the digital turn itself might be full of historic and
class, race what have you the problems we are facing everywhere, from
Medellin, to Manilla (hi Clarissa!) and Bandung are basically the
same, we are all facing a capitalist paradigm, a generation that has
no digital sense, irrelevant academic discourse and it becomes
increasingly clear to me that we have a broad consenscus from the
hackers to the designers, from the theorists to the festival
organizers, that we have a strong case for building a series of
global howto's that help structure the local experience in terms of
business models, interfaces to policy, to education, to community
politics, to excellent students, to artists and to activists.

Coming back from the Eastern Economic Forum in Krynica, makes me
realize even more the seriousness of the situation with the
ineffectiveness of the political leadership of current central europe
and central asia the leaders of which are only interested in
russianbashing (poland, hungary...), or themselves former
apparatchiks (the cultural and economic elite of central asia), their
embracing of americanstyled capitalism and the war on terror (with
Kazachstan ministers claiming to be the outer skirts of the western
perimeter of defense on war on terror! and...drugs offcourse) leaving
their countries to the elderly as the young head west (moldavia being
empty now and in bulgaria 94% of the young people want to leave the
country). The EU had a full day trying to sell its current and/or old
e-health/e-gov, e-culture ideas bringing in the heavies in the form
of Carlota Perez who helped convince the European Commission
singlehandedly that the bubble was only the beginning of a bull
market for which they loved her. So here she is now and her job is to
get Central Europe to believe that there is a golden future in IT if
you do it the e-EU way. Instead of acknowledging that central europe
and asia could leapfrog into the ambient age, into the internet of
things, into community infrastructure with rfid, wimax and what have
you there they are peddling their old paradigms because that can sell
in a package. The good thing of being  a participant in Krynica is
that you get the email of the Polish Minister who was in the panel,
so you can tell him all this and yes that is a small thing to be very
grateful for.

So my friends I leave you with this question that has been on my mind
ever since New Orleans went under. Where are the voodoo-eeuns? Where
are the voodoo queens? Where did they stroll ( I don't think New
Orleans voodooeeuns fly, I think they stroll, yeah) to?

Greetings, Rob .

Roberta wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>thinking about the medialabs subject ....
>
>here is my contribution ...

<msg cropped by abroeck>