[spectre] cfp: experience, movement & the creation of new political forms

Ned Rossiter n.rossiter at ulster.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 01:57:41 CEST 2005

CALL FOR PAPERS

Ephemera: Theory and Politics in Organization

'Experience, Movement and the Creation of New Political Forms'

Editors: Brett Neilson and Ned Rossiter

How does the contingency of experience relate to the creation of new
political forms? The immediate precedent for this special issue of
Ephemera is the conference 'Capturing the Moving Mind: Management and
Movement in the Age of Permanently Temporary War', an event held on
the trans-Siberian train. Conceived as an experiment in organisation
without ends, this moving conference brought together artists,
activists and frontline thinkers to discuss the modulations of
contemporary power, the putting to work of generic human capacities,
and the new collaborative forms of creation and resistance.

As an experience, however, what unfolded in this context was
something more than a conference. The rhythm of movement, the
changing landscapes, the interactions with strangers, the
architecture of the carriages, the border controls and currency
exchanges: all demanded constant interrogation and shifts of
perspective. How does such an experiment move beyond its terminus,
when the participants disperse, and experience fades to memory?
Furthermore, can this kind of organisation give rise to new ways of
being political? And how might such politics relate to notions of
action, potentiality, or institution?

We invite interventions that reflect on the experience of movement
not only as instantiated in the trans-Siberian conference but also in
relation to other forms of political experimentation. As a category
of political thought, movement is notoriously slippery. Likewise, the
physics of moving bodies (from Aristotle to Newton to Einstein) has
yielded little certainty beyond expired models of cause and effect.
But what does it mean to move a mind as opposed to a body? Why move
for the sake of movement? And what happens when experience becomes
its own motivation and phenomenal life impinges on our very sense of
being?

Furthermore, what occurs when the purity of movement enters the messy
world of politics and becomes enmeshed in contemporary networks of
control? Indeed, where is the scene of politics and what are its
qualities when experience fluctuates from the time of the event to
the relocation of bodies in routine lives? How do limits and closure
relate to the seeming expansive indeterminacy of experience? And
might this tension be the locus of 'the political' which conditions
new institutional forms?

There is now, as perhaps never before, a need to move beyond the
lament for the death of politics, to invent new forms of human
relation that do not fall back on familiar models of community,
collective action or life as art. Can there be, within the experience
of moving minds, a form of co-emergence whose fading has resonance -
an afterglow that makes it impossible to dream as if nothing
happened? How might the sensual, the sensitive, and the aesthetic
contribute to the creation of new political forms? And how might
feelings of restlessness and boredom (feelings of being without any
task or function - the experience of what in means to be 'human' in
the most generic sense) be decisively understood not as a weakness
but an asset, a political power not to be given up?

Through the assemblage of writing, images, sounds and links, this
issue of Ephemera will create an archive of experiences without
memorialisation - a common resource to enable the invention of new
political forms that remain open not only to what has or might happen
but to the movement that is always now. We also see the creation of
an open archive as important contribution to the process of
instituting a network of networks.

Finally, please keep in mind that we would like to push the form of
the online journal to the max, publishing not only plain text but
also hyperlinked texts that draw on the multiplicity of images, sound-
bites, etc. that have emerged from the conference. One already
existing archive-in-formation is of course the mobicasting site
http://www.kiasma.fi/transsiberia/, and we would be keen to see how
contributors might build this resource into their texts.

However, the archive is not limited to those who attended the event.
Indeed, since the archive is open, the material can be repurposed to
create new visual, textual and sonic forms. We are especially keen to
hear from artists who have ideas on how they might regenerate this
material, and in turn contribute to the proliferation of experience
and intelligibility that combines the themes outlined above.

At this stage, we need to get a firm idea about who will contribute
pieces to this special issue. We thus ask those of you who are
interested to send us a provisional title and brief abstract by 20
October 2005. We would hope to receive final versions of the papers
and artworks by 10 December 2005, and then move to the refereeing and
revision process, with publication to follow in the early part of
2006. Submission details for Ephemera are available at:

http://www.ephemeraweb.org/journal/submit.htm

Please email your ideas to:

b.neilson at uws.edu.au
n.rossiter at ulster.ac.uk