[spectre] FWD: Electrohype throws in the towel

Chris Byrne chris at crowriver.net
Fri Jan 21 16:17:05 CET 2005

Marius,

It does seem strange that the city of Malmö choose not to invest
further in the Electrohype event, but maybe they have other priorities.
I don't know enough about the local context there to comment
meaningfully.

I think both Zeljko and myself attempted to highlight that this issue
is quite widespread within the media arts. My point was that, perhaps
unfortunately for us all, media arts organisations seem to have to make
more arguments, and try harder to put a case to funders than
organisations active in more established artforms. Occasionally
compromises are needed to secure regular funding from public sources,
meaning that organisations have to change their activities or aims. For
some, this is acceptable; for others it's not. Some organisations or
projects can't survive without public funding, while others prosper.

I don't know that there are easy solutions to these issues. But we can
look for successful organisational models, maybe from sectors outside
the media arts, and see if these are useful for our area of practice.

Best

Chris