[spectre] Extending the Spectre to the Ukraine

Eric Kluitenberg epk at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 15 11:29:50 CET 2004

Dear Spectrites,

I just had a thought - wouldn't it be possible to concern ourselves in a
more directly productive and useful way with what is happening in the
Ukraine right now? In the sense that there must be some form of media
art activity, or media culture, over there that we can connect to and
forge closer ties with.

First question, are there any people from the Ukraine on the list? Is it
possible to receive some reports on media arts and media culture related
activity there?

It is exciting to think of the prospect of the Ukraina making a U-turn
in its development (politicaly and culturally) and moving in a new
direction. From the West this is interpreted as a move towards the EU,
and it might very well turn out that way. Maybe locally the first
priority could be to turn away from the auhtoritarian and corrupted
structures of the Kutsjma regime, rather than anything else.

If te society can manage to open up a bit it would be more than
interesting to forge new ties with media culture groups over there, not
just in Kiev. I still have for instance this romantic infatuation with
Odessa and would love to go there and meet local artists, thinkers and
so on - but that's just a personal obsession...

I'm also thinking of the time when on the Syndicate list we would often
get reports from the inside while much of central and sourth-east Europe
was going through such dramatic changes. On a list like this, there's
not so much you can do, except build ties with like-minded dreamers in
other places and develop some exciting and inspiring ideas and projects
together. It really feels that the stage is set for the Ukraina right now.

If the otucome of the current turmoil is positive the Ukraine as a
cultural border area, as a transition zone, might well play a role as a
mediator and a bridge between Russia and the EU. It could also exert a
positive influenece on what is going on in Belarus still, where the
siocial/poltical situation is possibly even more depressing.

It was really interesting that on the day that the street-protests
started in Kiev I was riding on a tram through The Hague picking up a
visa or something (typical activity in that city for non-residents) and
passed in front of the Parliament building. At the entrance porch to the
"Binnehof" square some protestors had placed themselves with quite big
banners (a usual sight there). The banners read "Russia, stop supporting
Belarus". I was confused, wasn't there something going on in Kiev?? Then
I suddenly realised, Putin is visiting Holland that day, and it was
clear to whom the message was addressed. Maybe they should have used
banners in Russian....

In any case, it feels like a significant shift is mounting and I would
like it f we could somehow reflect upon that within our own field of
interest, our own working area, media art and media culture. I wonder if
other people feel the same?

many greetings from Mokum!
Eric