[spectre] Re: SPECTRE digest, Vol 1 #13 - 4 msgs

saul ostrow so5@nyu.edu
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 17:52:58 -0400

Gregory

what you might take as nostalgia for high modernism is actual a manifestation of
my ideological belief that self- reflexivity and reflectivity can and must be
recuperated if we are to make the shift from the morality of Modernism to the
ethical and nihilistic behavior that our modern times require.

If this notion that we are responsible for  what we do and must also question
the premise for such acts smacks of the maudlin or banal modernism -- I guess I
would rather  live with that the anarchistic subjectivism that now passes  for
radicality -- as you can see I do not believe that reality and the real are one
and the same and just because reality can no longer be objectified and
quantified  -- it does not mean that  we can not order one collectively that is
both fluid and non - punative -- if this sounds idealistic off course it but
then again why organize ones aspiration either negatively or cynically
Saul