[rohrpost] [Studiengang] Piet Zwart Institute Media Design M.A.

Florian Cramer fc-rohrpost at plaintext.cc
Mit Apr 2 17:59:00 CEST 2008

[In der Hoffnung, daß unser Studienangebot einzelne rohrpost-Leser/innen
interessieren könnte - und im originalen Englisch belassen, da auch der
Studiengang englischsprachig ist.]

Piet Zwart Institute
Willem de Kooning Academy Hogeschool Rotterdam

Two-year Master programme (M.A.) in Media Design

The Media Design M.A. at Piet Zwart Institute is a study programme
focused on experimental work with programmable and networked media.
"Media design", in our understanding, is not merely the arrangement of
pixels and user interface sugar-coating, but a critical and speculative
practice that involves a deep cultural understanding of information
systems in their technical, aesthetic, political, philosophical
configurations. We encourage students to rethink media and realize
radical work.

Unlike other art school media programmes, we emphasize practical and
theoretical study of programming, software and networks in conjunction
with experimental arts, design, net culture, critical theory and
activism. We also work a lot with open source software and non-standard
tools. We are a small school with people closely collaborating in an
environment of intense study.

Our students are international and have multidisciplinary backgrounds in
fine arts, design, humanities and sciences.

Our staff consists of Florian Cramer (course director and cultural
theory instructor), Michael Murtaugh (mentor, M.S. from MIT Media Lab),
Calum Selkirk (technical teacher, Linux developer), Leslie Robbins
(project coordinator, Fine Art diploma from UdK Berlin).

Recent and future project leaders include Aymeric Mansoux (goto10.org),
jodi (jodi.org), de Geuzen (geuzen.org), jaromil (rastasoft.org)

Recent visiting tutors include Luna Maurer (poly-luna.com), Femke
Snelting (CONSTANT), Kenneth Goldsmith (ubuweb.com), Sebastian Luetgert
(textz.com), Wilfried Hou Je Bek (socialfiction.org), Andreas
Broeckmann, Tom Schouten (Packet Forth project),

External examiners in 2007 and 2008 were Inke Arns and Sally Jane Norman.

For a complete list and extensive information on our course, check out:
http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/mdma

Don't hesitate to apply to our programme.
All information, forms and deadlines you need are online at:
http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/mdma/application/

--
Florian Cramer, Course Director
Media Design MA, Piet Zwart Institute