[spectre] The Arts in Solidarity, 13 April at Casco Art Institute: Working for the Commons, Utrecht

Gary Hall mail at garyhall.info
Fri Apr 5 13:59:58 CEST 2024

  The Arts in Solidarity:

    Navigating Funding Constraints and Shifting Paradigms of Growth and
    Competition

      13 April 2024, 13:00–17:00 / Casco HQ
      Lange Nieuwstraat 7, 3512 PA Utrecht, Netherlands

      With contributions from Gertrude Flentge, Yazan Khalili, Laura
      Alexander, Justin O’Connor, Andy Hewitt, and Mel Jordan. This
      event is a working assembly convened by the Partisan Social Club,
      UK, and Casco Art Institute as part of the SPACEX-Rise exchange
      project.

In the UK and the Netherlands, numerous major arts institutions have
been compelled to align with neoliberal policies and ‘diversify’ their
funding sources over the past decade, thereby limiting possibilities for
economic sustainability. The Arts in Solidarity event raises crucial
questions about navigating challenging times. It unites scholars,
artists, and arts organizations from the UK and the Netherlands to
strategize alternatives to limiting and limited funding paradigms. Can
the UK's experience offer valuable insights? How have the arts
confronted past and present challenges? Together, we will discuss and
debate: How do we continue critical arts-based work when public
resources are dwindling? How can we better share and common our work?
How can we resist arts funding becoming a competitive process between
institutions? Can arts institutions apply social and art commoning
practices as methods to challenge the current economic structures of
funding? How can we impact policymaking through developing new
experimental, collaborative, and solidary practices? How can
commoning-based responses to the demise of arts subsidies help the arts
realign with radical agendas for more equitable futures?

*More information here: https://casco.art/activity/the-arts-in-solidarity//
/*

--
Gary Hall
Professor of Media

Website:http://www.garyhall.info

Latest:

Blog: '30-Second Book Review No.1: Kate Crawford, Atlas of AI: Power, Politics, and the Planetary Costs of Artificial Intelligence (2021):http://garyhall.squarespace.com/journal/2024/3/4/30-second-book-review-no1-kate-crawford-atlas-of-ai.html

30-Second Book Review No.2: K Allado-McDowell’s Amor Cringe (2022) and Pharmako-AI (2020):http://garyhall.squarespace.com/journal/2024/3/20/30-second-book-review-no2-k-allado-mcdowells-amor-cringe-and.html

Interview: (open access) ‘How To Be A Pirate: An Interview with Alexandra Elbakyan and Gary Hall by Holger Briel’:https://www.liverpooluniversitypress.co.uk/pb-assets/OA%20chapters/Briel_9781802076622_ch5_OA-1687267442.pdf

Book series (open access): Combinatorial Books: Gathering Flowers series, edited by Janneke Adema, Simon Bowie, Gary Hall and Rebekka Kiesewetter:http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/books/series/liquid-books/