[spectre] I Am Your Body - Open Call for Participation - Deafness, embodiment, AI

Marco Donnarumma lists at marcodonnarumma.com
Tue Nov 29 14:38:29 CET 2022

Dear Spectrers,

With this open call, performing arts center PACT Zollverein, artist Marco
Donnarumma and the Intelligent Instruments Lab seek five D/deaf and hard of
hearing persons interested in participating in and contributing to the
research underpinning Marco’s forthcoming new project entitled *I Am Your
Body*. The selected candidates will experience a creative path together as
a Working Group and each will receive a fee of 900 euro for their
participation and commitment.

The project *I Am Your Body* engages, artistically and scientifically, with
the relation between artificial intelligence (AI) and the embodied
knowledge enshrined in D/deaf and hard of hearing bodies. The project
originates from reflections on Marco’s own hearing impairment – a genetic,
degenerative sensorineural hearing loss in both ears – and builds on his
previous works with AI robotics and new interfaces for musical expression –
installations and performances that critically investigated technology and
body politics.

The Working Group – consisting of five selected participants plus the
artist – will conduct artistic research on the corporeal experiences of
deaf bodies through varied methods. These will include critical thinking
dialogues, movement experiments, creation of audiovisual material, and
hands-on sessions with unique prototypes of AI musical instruments. The
latter are being developed by our scientific partner, the Intelligent
Instruments Lab at the Iceland University of the Arts.

The creation process of the Working Group will drive Marco’s work towards
the creation of a media art installation and an art & technology
performance. Both artworks will premiere at PACT in Essen in September
2023, accompanied by an exhibition and a public program of lectures and
seminars where the creative research of the group and other relevant
experts will be presented. Participants will be able to personally present
the work of the group, as long as they want to, and will be permanently
credited in the authorship captions of the artworks.

Full info and submission forms
EN + DE: https://marcodonnarumma.com/series/i-am-your-body/

Deadline: 02 January 2023, 23.59

We would be grateful if you could forward this to relevant
networks/individuals.

thank you,
best wishes,

--