[spectre] EVENT: "Reclaiming Digital Agency!" (Utrecht + online, 1 July)

Michelle Franke - IMPAKT michelle at impakt.nl
Wed Jun 15 15:11:23 CEST 2022

Digital rights are more relevant than ever, from big-tech companies that can target us based on data about our location, health, finances, gender, race, and other personal information, to potentially discriminatory AI. In Brussels a new law for the protection of our digital rights and principles is being drafted. What should this law contain? How should we regulate the digital space? What can we, as concerned digital citizens, researchers, and artists do to support this process?

We invite you to join the discussion on Friday 1 July at "Reclaiming Digital Agency!", a hybrid event at Het Huis Utrecht and online.
We will discuss how artists, activists and policymakers can work together to raise awareness of our digital rights and what is needed for better laws and legislation that will protect us as digital citizens and consumers.

Speakers include: councillor for the Dutch liberal-democratic party D66 Utrecht Dirk-Jan van Vliet, artist and researcher Benjamin Gaulon and media theorist and activist Geert Lovink.

BOOK LAUNCH i.c.w. VALIZ: STUCK ON THE PLATFORM
During the event Geert Lovink will also present his new book Stuck on the Platform (Valiz, 2022). In this book, Lovink calls for internet users to reclaim the internet as a way to fight digital dullness. Describing and contesting internet trends during the turbulent Brexit-Trump-Covid era between 2019-2021, Lovink wrote this book as a relapse-resistant story, calling us to resist platform-culture.

Date: 1 juli, 16:00-19:00h
Location: Het Huis Utrecht + online
Info & tickets: impakt.nl/code2022<http://impakt.nl/code2022>

The event is part of CODE 2022, a European collaboration between IMPAKT [Centre for Media Culture], School of Machines, Making & Make Believe (Berlin), Werktank (Leuven) and Privacy Salon/Privacytopia (Brussels). With the support of Fonds Soziokultur, Fonds voor Cultuurparticipatie, Creative Industries Fund NL, Dutch Embassy in Belgium, Dutch Embassy in Berlin and Goethe Institut.

[cid:EF71A49C-1959-492E-86EE-3BE2B485644C]

IMPAKT Foundation
Lange Nieuwstraat 4
3512 PH Utrecht | The Netherlands
t. + 31 30 2944493