[spectre] a terrible day

Helen Varley Jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Fri Feb 25 14:17:01 CET 2022

for a feminist & pacifist response, see WILPF's statement:
https://www.wilpf.org/call-to-action-no-more-wars-not-now-not-ever-again/
- it's a call for unity around the message of no more wars.

however that statement is dated 14th february so before the actual
invasion. more current is this open letter to fridays for future,
written yesterday, calling to unite ecological and pacifist movements,
and appealing to youth:
https://www.wilpf.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Letter-WILPF-Ukraine-for-FFF-1.pdf.

so the feminist pacifist response is calls for unity and non-violence.

On 25.02.22 11:13, Mathias Fuchs wrote:

> Dear Andreas,
>
> thanks for your thoughtful reply to my quick email. You have a point
> there, of course, and I would like to draw back the "not innocent" notion.
>
> When you ask about the "feminist and pacifist response", I can only
> offer a kind of politics that seems to have gone out of fashion:
> Neutrality. No weapons pointing towards any neighbouring borders, no
> membership in any military organisation.
>
> The country that you know I come from made a decision in October 1955
> to declare itself as a nation of  "immerwährender Neutralität"
> (eternal neutrality). Well, this everlasting condition did not last
> forever, but it at least the agreement kept the US and the USSR from
> stationing troops in Austria.
>
> And once more: my full sympathies for the Ucranian people who has to
> suffer now.
>
> Best
>
> Mathias
>
> On 25.02.22 10:13, Andreas Broeckmann wrote:
>> Dear Mathias,
>>
>> I hesitate because this argument will change nothing, and more
>> knowledgeable people are making it more elegantly elsewhere, I hope.
>> But I want to shortly respond to your claim that "NATO is not
>> completely innocent of what is going on". From my point of view, this
>> is only true if you regard the Russian claims for its "security" as
>> legitimate and (I find it hard to imagine that you would condone
>> this) if you think that the specific current Russian "response" to
>> the "threat" posed by NATO is therefore in some way justifiable.
>> (What else, from an ethical point of view, could the phrase "not
>> innocent" mean?)
>>
>> Do you believe that, in order not to become co-responsible for the
>> current situation (what you call "not innocent"), when the Baltic
>> countries requested membership in NATO around 2000, the Western
>> alliance should have said, "no, sorry folks, we cannot do this out of
>> respect for the security concerns of the Russian Federation"?
>>
>> To the contrary, I would claim that, whatever the circumstances, the
>> Russian military attack on Ukraine, the threats and brutality towards
>> deposing the elected Ukrainian government, the quasi-annexation of
>> the eastern Ukrainian region (and of the Crimean peninsula, we should
>> not forget) are illegitimate, and the misery, death and destruction
>> that this war is bringing to people is unjustifiable and awful.
>>
>> However, what concerns me more than such weird "shares of guilt"
>> discussions is the question what a feminist and pacifist response or
>> attitude can be in the current situation.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> -a
>>

>> Am 24.02.22 um 19:11 schrieb Mathias Fuchs:
>>> Dear friends and neighbours,
>>>
>>> with all shared emotions about the horrible things that happen in
>>> the Ukraine and with particular sympathies for the victims of
>>> Russia's invasion, might I still put up a thought for discussion?

> [...]

helen varley jamieson

helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.upstage.org.nz