[spectre] a terrible day

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Fri Feb 25 10:13:31 CET 2022

Dear Mathias,

I hesitate because this argument will change nothing, and more
knowledgeable people are making it more elegantly elsewhere, I hope. But
I want to shortly respond to your claim that "NATO is not completely
innocent of what is going on". From my point of view, this is only true
if you regard the Russian claims for its "security" as legitimate and (I
find it hard to imagine that you would condone this) if you think that
the specific current Russian "response" to the "threat" posed by NATO is
therefore in some way justifiable. (What else, from an ethical point of
view, could the phrase "not innocent" mean?)

Do you believe that, in order not to become co-responsible for the
current situation (what you call "not innocent"), when the Baltic
countries requested membership in NATO around 2000, the Western alliance
should have said, "no, sorry folks, we cannot do this out of respect for
the security concerns of the Russian Federation"?

To the contrary, I would claim that, whatever the circumstances, the
Russian military attack on Ukraine, the threats and brutality towards
deposing the elected Ukrainian government, the quasi-annexation of the
eastern Ukrainian region (and of the Crimean peninsula, we should not
forget) are illegitimate, and the misery, death and destruction that
this war is bringing to people is unjustifiable and awful.

However, what concerns me more than such weird "shares of guilt"
discussions is the question what a feminist and pacifist response or
attitude can be in the current situation.

Best regards,

-a