[spectre] CFP: A Light Footprint in the Cosmos (Vancouver, 24-27 Jun 22)

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Wed Feb 23 13:56:44 CET 2022

From: Radek Przedpełski
Date: Feb 15, 2022
Subject: CFP: A Light Footprint in the Cosmos (Vancouver, 24-27 Jun 22)

School for the Contemporary Arts, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver,
Jun 24–27, 2022
Deadline: Mar 7, 2022

The Substantial Motion Research Network (SMRN) is an international
research network founded in 2017 by Azadeh Emadi and Laura U. Marks for
scholars and practitioners interested in cross-cultural exploration of
digital media and philosophy and, in particular, the interconnected
themes of non-Western inspirations for new media technologies; the
global circulation of ideas and technologies; and theories of
circulation and connectivity. We adopted our name from 17th–century
Persian process philosopher Sadr al-Dīn al-Shīrāzī to characterize
the way each SMRN member’s practice contributes to the development of
other members’ research and individuates in response to their input. We
are also inspired by the material and environmentalist turn in media
studies. Some of our works, research databases, and podcasts are
available to the public at substantialmotion.org and
creativedisturbance.org/series/substantial-motion-research-network. Our
collective research methods include researching the histories of media
in world cultures, tracing paths of transmission and exchange, seeking
models for media in world philosophies, studying vernacular practices,
cultivating cultural openness and developing hunches, and, when
historical links cannot be identified, building imaginative and
fabulative connections.

Celebrating the substantial motion of thought and/as creative practice,
SMRN will hold the four-day symposium “A Light Footprint in the Cosmos”
at the School for the Contemporary Arts, Simon Fraser University, 24-27
June 2022, accompanied by workshops, exhibitions, performances, and
curated screenings. We are delighted to extend an invitation to scholars
and artists to take part in the symposium. We are looking for scholarly
papers and performative artistic presentations that resonate with the
network's core interests and interrogate one (or more) of the following
themes:

- grounding new media in traditional and vernacular technologies whose
operative logic is capable of accounting for forms and processes of
contemporary algorithmic media. We are interested into inquiries that
problematise the unilateral, globalised and extractivist "meta"
character of modern technology, demonstrating multiple ways in which
media can be different and untimely, where the past is a creative
potentiality. To quote Amiri Baraka, "the future is always here in the
past."
- non-Western media archaeologies. We are interested in the diverse
cultural origins of media technologies, especially their Islamic, South
and East Asian, African, and global indigenous “roots.” We are
interested in how these alternative genealogies can partake in the
project of decolonization as modes of resistance. Taking a
de-Westernized and post-European perspective is crucial given the role
of Western imperialism in the acceleration of climate change and
environmental destruction, theorised as the Anthropocene.
- travelling cultures. We are interested in inquiries that investigate
how culture transforms as it circulates geographically, whereby the
transfer of practices and objects, such as textiles, across time and
space draws alternative cartographies that exploding nationalistic,
reactionary, and identitarian modes of thinking art and culture.
- media ecologies and cosmologies. We are interested in how contemporary
artistic practices are grounded in the unground of different
cosmologies, and how local cosmologies partake in an extended ecological
system where an object or a practice mediates between the body and the
cosmos. We are also interested in how contemporary artworks can function
as cosmological diagrams that guide the viewer’s perception and
imagination. We are interested in practices that draw on cosmologies to
promote sustainability.
- healing media: interventions that reinvent the contemporary media
landscape as opportunities for individual and communal healing. We are
interested in inquiries into appropriate technologies that use less
electricity and generate a social renewable energy for communities of
practice; practices that are intensive rather than extensive, connecting
to the viewer materially, affectively, and socially.

Please send your abstract of up to 300 words with a short bio to
contact at substantialmotion.org by March 7, 2022.

Questions? Contact Radek Przedpełski, manager, A Light Footprint in the
Cosmos: przedper at tcd.ie

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: A Light Footprint in the Cosmos (Vancouver, 24-27 Jun 22). In:
ArtHist.net, Feb 15, 2022. <https://arthist.net/archive/35921>.