[spectre] Body and Digitality: From early experiments to theater-making

Marco Donnarumma lists at marcodonnarumma.com
Tue Nov 17 11:13:17 CET 2020

(excuse any x-post)

Fellow spectrers,

Our recently funded artists group Fronte Vacuo (Donnarumma, Margherita
Pevere, Andrea Familari) have just produced an informal video lecture for
public access and dissemination:

Body and Digitality: From early experiments to theater-making.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ONaW31kl8

In the talk I discuss the relation of body and technology in the arts and
how the body is at the center of a transdisciplinary avantgarde that, since
the 1960s, has been meshing media art, dance and theater; a set of
practices that made possible much of the art we see today.

Tags under: #experimentation #performanceAndTechnology #cyberfeminism
#alternativeEmbodiment #performativity #biophysicalPerformance

The first 30 minutes are dedicated to a historical overview of body and
technology works and performances from the 1960s until 2010s, including
Alvin Lucier, E.A.T, Stelarc, Marcel.lí Antúnez Roca, VNS Matrix, Seiko
Mikami, Shu Lea Cheang, Santasangre.

The next 30 minutes are focused on my own work as well as on the
collaborative works created with Fronte Vacuo co-founders Pevere and
Familari, including my "7 Configurations" cycle, and Fronte Vacuo's new
Humane Methods performance and happening series.

The lecture was recorded with the kind support of Akademie für Theater und
Digitalität, Dortmund, where myself and Familari are currently Research
Fellows.

All works and works' excerpts shown in this video are copyright of the
respective artists. For sake of conciseness, the historical overview is by
no means exhaustive. The talk is under a Creative Commons License.

Please feel free to contact me for questions, doubts, critics, and to use
this talk in any way it may be relevant to your work, teaching or research.

Thank you,
wishing you well,

--
Marco Donnarumma, Ph.D.