[spectre] New podcast: conversation with media artist Joana Moll on technocolonialism, data tracking, surveillance and online environmental impact

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 10:55:11 CEST 2020

New podcast: conversation with media artist Joana Moll on
technocolonialism, data tracking, surveillance and online environmental
impact

https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-313-joana-moll

Through a combination of artistic research, detective work, and an almost
forensic approach to our own data trail, Joana Moll’s work exposes some of
the most pressing issues of our data-driven, data-centric existence. Her
research projects, talks, workshops and art pieces slip through the cracks
of corporate behemoths to make sense of their polymorphic nature and reveal
some of the hidden layers that shape and sustain the hypercapitalist
fractal. In this podcast, we talk to Joana Moll
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-313-joana-moll>about interfaces and
their social implications, about technocolonialism, agency, surveillance,
exploitation, speculation and, why not, about laughter.

https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-313-joana-moll

It is somewhat paradoxical that humans are able to smash particle beams
together to study the structure of the subatomic world, and map the genomic
sequence of a novel virus in a matter of days, yet human-made
macrostructures such as tech companies remain opaque and inscrutable, but
at the same time omnipresent. We seem to know more about the topography of
Mars and the bonds in common polymers than we do about the inner workings
of Silicon Valley. Tech companies are in fact also a type of polymer (from
the Greek “poly”, many, and “mer”, part): infinitely fractional on the
inside, infinitely stuck to us but also infinitely withdrawn. These
macroeconomic polymers operate under a thick crust of legal smoke and
mirrors which obfuscates not just their trade secrets, but above all their
supply chains, their personal data collection processes, and their
environmental impact. Barcelona-based artist and researcher Joana Moll
focuses on different aspects of this hermetic web of infrastructures,
prodding various online platforms to probe into their services, practices,
malpractices and repercussions at different levels. From the privacy
breaches at the core of the online dating ecosystem to the carbon footprint
of tech giants like Google and the vast, largely invisible web of data
collection processes (and its accompanying energy by-products) embedded in
seemingly inconsequential Amazon purchases.

This podcast is part of Re-Imagine Europe, co-funded by the Creative Europe
programme of the European Union. Produced in collaboration with Disruption
Network Lab.
E/N/J/O/Y!