[spectre] Fwd: Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art 2020 online: call for applications

Warren Neidich Studio office at warrennedich.com
Wed Jun 10 09:17:27 CEST 2020

This email newsletter was sent to you in graphical HTML format.
If you're seeing this version, your email program prefers plain text emails.
You can read the original version online:
https://ymlptr1.net/zJIjw0

Dear friends and colleagues,

Sorry for cross-posting.

I thought you might be interested in learning about the
Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art that I founded six years ago.
This year will concern Care, Caring, and Repair in Cognitive
Capitalism.
I hope you feel as excited about the faculty and curriculum as I do.
Stay safe and healthy.

Sincerely yours,

Warren

Art & Education (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/2a71837bbe5e002464ab8824c584d55bbc0515df
)

June 09, 2020

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: CARE, CARING AND REPAIR IN COGNITIVE CAPITALISM

Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art

Robby Herbst workshop, Spike Art Quarterly, SFSIA 2017.

Application deadline: June 28, 2020

Session one: July 13–23, online
Session two: August 3–13, online

sfsia.art (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/de0ef5094811b75e4dd0f9e85fd25dd0416a4598
)
Facebook (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/564ff7a38c339977da028ba650bdbc0a912d822a
) / Instagram (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/57923ea76a19683a83e333437956ede634b6e7af
) / Vimeo (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/0f3fac036efd0c98f1ca6228aa5fce011a7cccb3
) / Twitter (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/075b5c4c1904ef6cf8bde52c3a292c96376abd0a
)

Care, Caring and Repair in Cognitive Capitalism
The original program for Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art 2020 in
Berlin on Care, Caring and Repair in Cognitive Capitalism was canceled
due to COVID-19 and will now be presented online Monday–Thursday in
two sessions. 6–10am PST (LA) / 3–7pm CET (Berlin) / 9pm–1am CST
(Beijing)
Building upon our past five-year engagement with topics concerning
estrangement, individuation, and collectivity in art and politics,
Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art 2020 will address the present and
future conditions of our new pandemic reality, including new
possibilities it may generate.
In the past 20 years, the techno-social-scientific revolution has
joined forces with neoliberal reformers to produce a generalized
crisis in empathy and thought. Through the coronavirus pandemic we
have all, in one way or another, become cognitariats—isolated data
workers laboring for free within the abstract conundrum of the
infosphere. As a result of these intensive relations with the virtual,
we have become prey to a number of pervasive empathy disorders related
to distinct neurological, neuro-psychological and psychic pathologies
ranging from Asperger's syndrome and autism spectrum disorder to
narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders. As Franco
“Bifo” Berardi stated in Breathing: Chaos and Poetry,
“Neoliberal reformers have put competition at the core of the daily
business of life, and digital connectivity has replaced physical
conjunction in the sphere of social communication: so the
psycho-cultural conditions of empathy have been undermined.”
Berardi’s comments offer an insight into the inadequate response to
this pandemic as a disjunction of comradeship, a pervasive lack of
social solidarity. These are symptoms of a disease in which our
community is rotting from within and which have broad social-political
implications beyond the pandemic such as economic disparity, white
nationalism, the election of despots, and the resurgence of fascism.
As this already global condition has been further complicated by the
coronavirus pandemic, Care, Caring and Repair in Cognitive Capitalism
is the focus of this year's Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art which
will be presented online. We ask: Is the rising global death toll
still happening in many regions a result of the powerful effect of
neoliberal capitalism upon empathy making the care it necessitates
impossible? Will the effects of seclusion and the growing importance
of virtual technology in our daily life (such as remote learning,
shopping, and communication) intensify the loss of comradeship and
solidarity already in progress? Finally, if the pandemic is linked to
a coming global catastrophe will the governments, corporations and
other institutions that have proved so ineffectual in the current
moment fail miserably again? In the hope of creating awareness and
addressing the causes of the factors that are breaking our social webs
apart, we will interweave four broad categories of care, caring and
repair: (1) Cognitive Capitalism and Affective Labor (2) Theory of
Mind, Empathy and its Psychopathologies (3) Class Consciousness and
Solidarity (4) Climate Change and Global Warming. Through online
discussions, deep readings, and performative lectures, we aim to
develop strategies of counterinsurgency.
Faculty
Antonia Alampi, Chloë Bass, T.J. Demos, Stefano Harney, Stefanie
Hessler, Joan Jonas, Amelia Jones, Maurizio Lazzarato, Alex Taek-Gwang
Lee, Fred Moten, Yann Moulier-Boutang, Bonaventure Soh Bejeng Ndikung,
Warren Neidich (founder/director), Clio Nicastro, Ahmet Ögüt, Ana
Teixeira Pinto, Jasbir K. Puar, Tobias Rees, Suely Rolnik, Daniel
Ross, Martha Schwendener, Barry Schwabsky (co-director), Vandana
Shiva, Anuradha Vikram, and more to be announced.
Applications
Applications for SFSIA 2020 are open to students, practitioners, and
scholars from the fields of art (including video, photography,
installation, and multimedia), design, architecture, critical writing,
science and technology studies, critical theory, cultural studies,
film and media studies, and beyond. Please see our website for updates
and further details.
About SFSIA
Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art (SFSIA) is a nomadic, intensive
summer academy with shifting programs in contemporary critical theory
that stresses an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the
relationship between art and politics. SFSIA originated in Saas-Fee,
Switzerland in 2015 and migrated to Berlin, Germany in 2016 where it
is currently hosted by Spike. Additional programs have been hosted by
Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, and Performance Space New
York. SFSIA was founded and is directed by Warren Neidich and is
co-directed by Barry Schwabsky. Sarrita Hunn is the artistic
coordinator.
Please see our website (
https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/my656vtvja0c4/track-url/nw736gtkfw94a/e1ef44aa967b7c71f876aab86cec663c044e75d5
) or contact info at sfsia.art (