[spectre] New deleted scenes with New York artist and editor Susan Bee

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:11:57 CEST 2020

New deleted scenes with New York artist Susan Bee
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/extra/sonia-308-susan-bee-deleted-scenes>

We dig up some unreleased fragments
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/extra/sonia-308-susan-bee-deleted-scenes> of our
conversation with Susan Bee that we were unable to include the first time
around.  Susan Bee was born in New York, where she has always lived and
worked. As an art student in the late sixties, she first came in contact
with feminist activism and other social movements such as black power, gay
rights, and protests against the Vietnam War. In 1986, she embarked on the
project M/E/A/N/I/N/G, a self-managed art magazine that she co-edited with
fellow artist Mira Schor for thirty years. From the strict black and white
pages of M/E/A/N/I/N/G, a plurality of voices of artists, poets, thinkers,
and writers have discussed and reflected on art and feminism, art and
racism, art and maternity, and art and activism, and on censorship,
sexuality, poetry, aesthetics, and visual culture.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/extra/sonia-308-susan-bee-deleted-scenes

Timeline
00:01 On women’s recognition. Nancy Spero did not sell a thing for many
years.
01:19 Cecilia Vicuña stopped painting because nobody was paying any
attention.
04:26 When Ana Medieta died, she was not famous.
05:54 Meanwhile… I am not waiting around. You need to take charge of the
dialogue.
07:04 The late 60s: Barnard College, A.I.R. Gallery, civil rights
movements, Columbia University…
15:51 The conversation has shifted very far: self-identified women artists
in New York
18:41 Artists' books
24:41 Still lives. I need more pleasure in my life
26:33 “Demonology”, 2018. Painting is a way of understanding images.

You can listen to our main feature with Susan Bee here:
https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-308-susan-bee

E/N/J/O/Y/