[spectre] grey) (area . Ilija Šoškić: Tautologies (video)

Darko Fritz darko at darkofritz.net
Wed Jun 3 14:33:46 CEST 2020

grey) (area – space for contemporary and media art

Ilija Šoškić: Tautologies

video

June the 3d – September the 3d,  2020

World premiere of the video work 'Tautologies' by Ilija Šoškić in the production of grey) (area  - space for contemporary and media art will take place on-line, on the grey) (area Vimeo channel, starting from June the 3d, 2020. Curator of the project is Darko Fritz and director of photography is Ivana Marinić Kragić.

Since the end of the 1960s Ilija Šoškić has been working in the media of performance and installation in his artistic practice, and since 1969 he has been using the video medium. During Šoškić's art in residence in Korčula in July 2019, grey) (area started with the production of the new video work “Tautologies”, which was emerging from the artist's dialogue with the city and the island of Korčula. Production of the work was finished in 2020.

Here is the artist's statement about this work: "Tautology is ('it is what it is') for me, in some situations, a quite stimulative reference. If I opt for a 'mental polygon', too adventurous, when I bind it with the title 'tautologies', it is getting on the efficacy of a performative idea, as it occurred in Korčula, a very demanding spatial setting.
Minimalist esthetics and reality of the space were not, exactly, the best, true, that was something that I expected. However, simultaneously, according to my character, it was a very challenging creative situation.
'Cane and a hat' + 'it is what it is' is what I wanted to achieve. It was good because of the title, precisely in plural: Tautologies. That is how it is possible to create quality communication and  companies. That was my goal and it happened. I have to say that I felt very well these days. I was in a good company, just as it should be...”

The work 'Tautologies' was performed on the crossing borders among the disciplines such asmathematics, metaphysics, and philosophy, while intuitively synthesizing knowledge that was given to us by Pythagoras and Wittgenstein. Artist is in a space and with his being alters that space. With his body he makes a semicircle towards chosen architecture, makes contact with the sea, approaches the mountain while moving through the sea, passes between two islands. Elements of the Earth, water and air are being interwoven, as well as male and female principles. In the scene of approaching the mountain, the movement is directed towards the highest peak of Pelješac peninsula which carries the name of St Elias (Sv. Ilija). The hill is called Mons Vipera (Viper's mountain) and Perun's hill. Perun was a god of thunder in the ancient Slavic mythology, and the present name comes from the chapel dedicated to St Elias (Sv. Ilija).
Video: https://vimeo.com/sivazona/tautologies <https://vimeo.com/sivazona/tautologies>
More info: http://sivazona.hr/events/tautologije-video <http://sivazona.hr/events/tautologije-video>