[spectre] New podcast: Nora Sternfeld problematises the educational turn and talks about emancipatory practices and alliances,

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 11:26:57 CEST 2019

*New podcast: Nora Sternfeld
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/nora-sternfeld/capsula> problematises the
educational turn and talks about the crisis of the museum model, radical
pedagogy, emancipatory practices and alliances, para-institutions,
unlearning strategies and collective knowledge projected into the future.*

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/nora-sternfeld/capsula

>From an extremely critical point of view at the intersection of art and
politics, curator and educator Nora Sternfeld
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/nora-sternfeld/capsula> constantly breaks
the fourth wall of research and curating, shining a light on terms such as
"exhibition", "gallery", "representation", "museum", and "collectivity",
always looking for cracks and hidden connections.

In this podcast, Nora Sternfeld starts by putting forward a few ideas that
can help us understand the crisis of the museum as institution, "as it
happened", from construction to eventual collapse. She talks about the
crisis of the museum model, but also its origins and its relationship to
the neoliberal machine that it forms part of, as welll as some attempts to
overturn its endemic problems. From there, we talk to Nora about education,
power, historical narratives, para-institutions, "unlearning" strategies,
and collective knowledge projected into the future: "How can we learn
something that doesn’t exist yet? It is not possible that one person will
know something that does not exist yet, it’s a contradiction in itself.
But, together, each of us, has a bit of a knowledge of something that
doesn’t exist yet. So if we bring these imaginations together we can build
on a possible imagination that can grow stronger and stronger. In this
sense I think that learning cannot be imagined without collectivity. We
learn together."

*This podcast is part of Re-Imagine Europe, co-funded by the Creative
Europe programme of the European Union. In collaboration with Sonic Acts.*
*Timeline*
*02:27* Everything can be turned into a turn: from a moment of mobilisation
to a ‘festivalisation’ of a crisis
*06:21* The Museum is being questioned from many sides. From the margins to
the grant applications.
*10:34* The question of alliances
*13:28* Janna Graham’s notion of the parasite: the inside and outside of
the institution
*15:37* Questioning of representation. On post-representation and the
dangers of giving up representation. Thinking in between
*20:55* Stealing the tactics and strategies of the Museum
*23:20* Rethinking the idea of the Museum
*30:35* Unlearning is a way of learning. The promise of another possibility
to think, to understand and to make the world different
*33:21* Pre-enactment: to imagine another future and live it now
*35:29* How can we learn something that doesn’t exist yet?

E/N/J/O/Y!

+ if you are interested in this subject, you may also want to check our
conversation with Janna Graham
https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/janna-graham/capsula A critical analysis
about how pedagogical practices interact with cultural practices and social
struggles.