[spectre] Open call for Very Large Works

Bjørn Magnhildøen noemata at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 13:00:00 CEST 2019

VERY LARGE WORKS will be an online show, a pavilion at https://thewrong.org
art biennale (Nov 2019 - Mar 2020), organised by http://noemata.net.

The pavilion is a reaction to bloated works, systems and structures, which
prey on the resources of the world to exhaustion. The notion of Very Large
Works stands to represent oppressive, imperialist and patriarchal
tendencies throughout history. Values still nurtured, not least in the
arts, hung up on romantic ideas of public opinion. A white-wash in many
ways - culturally, institutionally and economically.

Our goal is to make an open, collaborative and self-modifying space for
creating and curating art on the internet. We were inspired by the game
Nomic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomic), where each move is a change to
the rules of the game. VLW also intends to explore if the dynamics on
expanding spaces (https://arxiv.org/abs/1701.00994) could model a net-based
discursive practice for the entangled pair of art and curation.

You can take part by submitting questions and works related to questions.
In other words, you can participate as a curator formulating questions, as
an artist answering questions with works, or any combination of the two. We
are looking for contributions that embody critique of the very large, which
question, invert or revert its definition, use and abuse.

For MORE INFO visit http://verylarge.works/call.html