[spectre] // Climate and Collapse //

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Fri Nov 2 16:43:38 CET 2018

..on Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 03:00:45PM +0000, John Maher wrote:
>  all brilliant but a bit of a rant and an ode to stop shopping
> a better response would be found in the Tim Morton / Justin Brice Guariglia installation maxim:
> "Don't Eco Shop, Eco Vote [Instead]" to which I would add "Do Eco direct action"

We have 5 elections between now and 2050, in most Western states - states
responsible for over 50% of GHG footprint. That's 5 rolls of the big dice.

Tim and Justin proffer dangerously poor advice, unfortunately. We need /both/
policy and per-capita change, this being the expressed recommendation of 15,364
scientists from 184 countries (the most scientists to sign a single document in
history), in their recent 'Second Warning to Humanity':

"As most political leaders respond to pressure, scientists, media influencers,
and lay citizens must insist that their governments take immediate action as a
moral imperative to current and future generations of human and other life. With
a groundswell of organized grassroots efforts, dogged opposition can be overcome
and political leaders compelled to do the right thing. It is also time to
re-examine and change our individual behaviors, including limiting our own
reproduction (ideally to replacement level at most) and drastically diminishing
our per capita ­consumption of fossil fuels, meat, and other resources."

    https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/67/12/1026/4605229

To ignore that advice would be, well, anti-science.

Cheers,

Julian