[spectre] Call for participation AMRO18 | 16th to 19th of May, Linz - Austria

pinguin at servus.at pinguin at servus.at
Sun Mar 11 10:10:14 CET 2018

On a short notice we are happy to announce that we are able to manage
another edition of AMRO (http://www.radical-openness.org).
Please feel free to apply for the open call!

looking forward
davide bevilacqua  & us(c)hi reiter
ps.: thanks for spreading the open call!

2018 - Art Meets Radical Openness (#AMRO18)
AMRO is a biennial community festival in Linz that explores and
discusses new challenges between digital culture, art, everyday life,
education, politics and active action.

Call for Participation:
Unmapping Infrastructures

Application deadline: Sunday, 25th of March 2018
Event: Wed. 16th to Sat. 19th of May 2018
Location: Linz, Austria
Please apply online: http://www.radical-openness.org/en
Application deadline: Sunday, 25th of March 2018
Any questions: mailto amro18 at servus.at

The current issue “Unmapping Infrastructures” deals with the idea of
“mapping” as a process of becoming aware and then acquiring a critical
position about the current landscape of technological infrastructures.

This conglomerate of machines, human and non-human actors, nation-states
and borderless companies is increasingly complex to observe and
describe. Nevertheless, we believe that there is more to be seen than a
hyper-commercialized structure of interlaced technological layers.
Cartographic mapping consists of a series of practices of observing,
analyzing and representing a territory to be able to move through it.
How can art and activism appropriate the methods of cartographic mapping
to produce new, critical and alternative views of the current landscape
shaped by different players?

The festival aims at deepening the thematic areas of digital
geopolitics, alternative design methods, activist practices and
autonomous infrastructures, themes that offer directions for localizing
areas of intervention. Throughout the festival, these topics will be
further explored through discussion panels, workshops, and performances.

The Open Call is addressed to artists, hacktivists, cultural workers,
journalists, F/LOSS developers and “improvers of the world” who want to
make a contribution (exhibition, workshop, lecture, performance) to this
topic.

-----------------------------------
Lectures
-----------------------------------

How can we gain a better understanding of the surrounding infrastructure
of autonomous machines, large corporations, post-state nations and
commercialized networks? Can we influence the current leading
tendencies? How can one find places for critical intervention?

-----------------------------------
Workshop, Hands-on, Presentations
-----------------------------------

Which experiments, alternative tools, and infrastructures can be used to
“map the empire” and act upon its weakness? How can one build an ethical
infrastructure that allows autonomy and independence from the “big players”?

-----------------------------------
Showcase
-----------------------------------

Since its beginnings, AMRO is a place for exchanging ideas and sharing
discussions about on-going processes. Within the framework of the
showcase we are able to provide a possibility to display your work
within the festival locations or outdoors. You can propose projects that
are still in development or that need some external point of view.
Installations / objects / interventions … should be accompanied by a
short presentation or a skill-sharing workshop.

-----------------------------------
Performances, Nightline
-----------------------------------

If a 3D-rendered tree falls into a virtual forest, and there is no-thing
that listens to it, will it produce sound? What is the squawk of the
fauna living at the borders of the corporate web? Do bots cry when one
is rude to them? We are “simply” looking for the sonic-apparatus that
can hack data-capitalism. Got some?\\

We especially appreciate contributions that float around algorave, live
coding, device hackings or other experimental approaches towards
machines and sound. You presence at the festival should also include  an
active skill-sharing part with the other participants.

Application deadline: Sunday, 25th of March 2018

A M R O   P o l i c y

- Support
We are aware of the fact that nobody is able to work for free. During
our last events we were able to provide participants with travel
support, private accomodation, food and an appreciative fee. We will do
our best to make this possible again in 2018. We have to warn you,
though, that no one will get rich by being part of this event!

- How to support us?
If it is possible for you to finance your travel and/or accomodation on
your own or through a 3rd party (university, grant, etc.), this would be
a great help for us. In case you need a letter of invitation please
mailto: amro at servus.at

- Sharing Documents & Files
Please note that we support Open Standards. 3rd Party (Google, DropBox,
etc): We try to avoid using 3rd party services as much as possible. If
you want to share something with us it must be publicly accessible.

- Open Source
AMRO (Art Meets Radical Openness) is shaped by the spirit of the Free
Software movement. This understanding is an essential basis for the
selection of contributions using software and hardware.