[spectre] Launch of Centre for Postdigital Cultures

Gary Hall mail at garyhall.info
Tue Jan 9 17:19:37 CET 2018

*7^th  February 3.00pm Disruptive Media Learning Lab (Coventry University)*

Sign up here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/launch-of-the-centre-for-postdigital-cultures-tickets-41968258190

------

You are invited to the launch of the *Centre for Postdigital Cultures
*(CPC), a new Faculty Research Centre at Coventry University, UK. The
launch will include keynote talks by 3 internationally esteemed speakers:

*Cornelia Sollfrank* (artist, researcher and educator)

*Monika Bakke*(Adam Mickiewicz University)

*Mark Amerika* (University of Colorado Boulder) (tbc)

Sign up here
(https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/launch-of-the-centre-for-postdigital-cultures-tickets-41968258190)
to attend and to:

    §Listen to talks by ground breaking theorists and artists

    §Find out about Coventry University’s newest research centre

    §Meet the Postdigital Cultures community

    §Enjoy a unique performance from the Sound Book Project and a glass
    of wine!

------

The Centre for Postdigital Cultures brings together media theorists,
practitioners, activists and artists. It draws on cross-disciplinary
ideas associated with open and disruptive media, the posthuman, the
posthumanities, the Anthropocene and the Capitalocene to explore how
innovations in postdigital cultures can help 21st century society to
respond to the challenges it faces at a global, national and local level:

  * how we receive, consume and process information
  * how we learn, work, and travel
  * how we engage and regenerate our communities **

In particular, the Centre for Postdigital Cultures endeavours to promote
the transformation to a more socially just and sustainable
‘post-capitalist’ knowledge economy. To this end, the CPC’s research
includes projects funded by Jisc, the EU, the National Lottery Fund, and
the Arts and Humanities Research Council. Members of the CPC are
involved in editorial work for peer-reviewed journals such as /Cultural
Studies/ and /Culture Machine/, and in developing innovative
organisations such as Open Humanities Press and the Radical Open Access
Collective.

*What Do We Mean By Postdigital Cultures?*

The Centre for Postdigital Culturesbelongs to the broader digital
humanities field. Today, however, ‘the digital’ can no longer be
understood as a separate domain of media and culture. If we actually
examine the digital - rather than taking it for granted we know what it
means - we soon see that digital information processing is now present
in every aspect of our lives. This includes our global communication,
entertainment, education, energy, banking, health, transport,
manufacturing, food, and water-supply systems. The very idea of digital
humanities – based as it is on a presumed difference between computing
and the digital on the one hand, and the humanistic and human on the
other – is therefore somewhat anachronistic and inappropriate. Attention
therefore needs to turn from ‘the digital’ to the various overlapping
processes and infrastructures that shape and organise the digital, and
that the digital helps to shape and organise in turn. The CPC
investigates such enmeshed digital models of culture, society, and the
creative economy for the 21^st  century world.

This is why the CPC has adopted the term /postdigital cultures/.
Postdigital cultures describes what comes: after the digital; after the
digital humanities; and after the humanities - including humanism and
the human (i.e. the posthumanities).

Research areas covered by the centre include:

·Post-capitalist Economies

·Creative Archiving and International Heritage

·Digital Arts and Humanities

·Posthumanities

·Affirmative Disruption and Open Media

·The 21st Century University and Art School

One of the aims of the CPCis to envisage alternative forms for society
in the 21st century world of postdigital media cultures, beyond the
all-pervasive algorithmic surveillance and control of market capitalism
and its metrics. Exploring issues of collaboration, community, the
commons and the ‘Capitalocene’, the goal is to facilitate new
articulations of culture and society that call for a radical rethinking
of the relationship between the human, technology, the economy and the
environment.

To celebrate our launch we have invited 3 internationally esteemed
artists and academics to deliver public keynote lectures, which will be
followed by a drinks reception and a performance by the Sound Book
Project <https://www.soundbookproject.com/>.

*Where:*

The Disruptive Media Learning Lab, 3^rd  floor, Lanchester Library,
Coventry University.

*When:*

February 7^th  3-8pm

*Schedule (tbc):*

3:00-3:15pm: Opening introduction

3:15-4:00pm: Keynote Monika Bakke

4:00-4:45pm: Keynote Cornelia Sollfrank

4:45-5:15pm:               Coffee break

5:15-6:00pm: Keynote Mark Amerika (tbc) and closing

6:00-8:00pm:               Wine reception and performance by the Sound
Book Project <https://www.soundbookproject.com/>

Sound Book Project is a group of collaborating artists and musicians who
use books as instruments.Books will be wound, sprung, strummed, slapped
and thrown to create a soundscape that evolves around the performers. By
interacting with books in new and surprising ways, the Sound Book
Project enable books to speak for themselves.

--
Gary Hall, http://www.garyhall.info
Professor of Media and Performing Arts, Coventry University

RECENT:
The Inhumanist Manifesto: Extended Play.
Available for free here: http://art.colorado.edu/research/Hall_Inhumanist-Manifesto.pdf

'Posthumanities: The Dark Side of "The Dark Side of the Digital"' (with Janneke Adema).
Available for free here: http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/3336451.0019.201

Pirate Philosophy:
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/pirate-philosophy