[spectre] Architecture as Sonic Experience Masterclass by Esther Polak & Ivar van Bekkum, Berlin April 14 - 16

Eric Kluitenberg epk at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 9 16:32:18 CEST 2018

Dear Spectrites,

Coming weekend the first workshop annex masterclass of the reDesigning Affect Space project will be conducted by artists Esther Polak and Ivar van Bekkum, at Spektrum in Berlin, on April 14 & 15, with a public presentation of results on Monday evening April 16.

Limited places are still available for the workshop, which is free of charge, but we ask for a ultra brief motivation from prospective participants.
To join please send an e-mail to: contact at polakvanbekkum.com <mailto:contact at polakvanbekkum.com>

-Eric

———

reDesigning Affect Space #1: Architecture as Sonic Experience
Masterclass by Esther Polak & Ivar van Bekkum in cooperation with Hybrid Space Lab & Spektrum.
Berlin, April 14 - 16, 2018.

“Like Space” is a research by Hybrid Space Lab on the emotional and affective dimensions of hybrid (combined physical and media) space.

In their work, Esther Polak and Ivar van Bekkum (PolakVanBekkum) are investigating mobility and the (urban) landscape. In recent years they have explored the possibilities of location-specific binaural sound recordings. To enter a physical identification with mobilities and moving objects, they connected their recording equipment to those objects, instead of the human head. To radicalise this work method in scale, PolakVanBekkum proposes to apply it to a building. As a result, one ear would hear the eastern side of a building, while the other ear would hear the western side.

Workshop: Architecture as Sonic Experience

Your ears are about 20 cm apart. How will you experience the city once you enlarge that distance? Will this make you hear like a giant?

In two afternoons, you will experiment with listening over expanded distances: with your ears one meter apart, 2 meters, 5 meters, 20 meters, as if you enlarge your head. Can you intertwine sounds that enter your ears from a greater distance than you are used to?

We will bring mics and extension cables to connect those distances to headphones. We can use our mobile phones to produce live streams. And don’t hesitate to bring your own equipment to experiment with. Once we decided on a setup, we will go out to the street to ‘become’ different objects: a tree, a bridge, a car, or a bus stop.

We, Ivar and Esther, are curious to radicalise the scale of this work method as far as possible. Can we even identify with a building adding one ear to one side and the other to the opposite side?

At the start of the workshop all participants will be asked to introduce themselves, to see what fields of knowledge, experience, and curiosity each of us brings. During the workshop we will build on this collective expertise. Concluding the workshop, we will define what ‘spatial listening’ brought us.

Can we approach the urban landscape from this position with a different view, or rather a different ear? What sort of bodily information do we get? What is the role of (mobile) tech to this? What is this kind of spatial listening? And how does it affect our sense of city-awareness?

http://spektrumberlin.de/events/detail/architecture-as-sonic-experience.html <http://spektrumberlin.de/events/detail/architecture-as-sonic-experience.html>

Presentation:

The results of the workshop will be presented in a public discussion at Spektrum on Monday April 16, starting at 20.00 (doors open: 19.30).

http://spektrumberlin.de/events/detail/presentation-architecture-as-sonic-experience-esther-polak-ivar-van-bekkum.html <http://spektrumberlin.de/events/detail/presentation-architecture-as-sonic-experience-esther-polak-ivar-van-bekkum.html>

Context:

This masterclass is part of ‘reDesigning Affect Space’, an international design- theory, practice, and research project initiated by lead-researcher Eric Kluitenberg, which consists of a series of masterclasses and conferences in Berlin, Madrid, Rotterdam and The Hague. The project aims to develop a more  differentiated design agenda for the increasingly dense connections between public space, mobile media, and wireless networks, and the shift to affective relations in public space that result from this densification.

Links:
binaural recordings of moving objects:
car recording https://vimeo.com/136873473 <https://vimeo.com/136873473>
vorkheftruck recording   https://vimeo.com/138551393 <https://vimeo.com/138551393>
caterpillar recording  https://vimeo.com/137422115 <https://vimeo.com/137422115>
trolley recording https://vimeo.com/138643907 <https://vimeo.com/138643907>

PolakVan Bekkum:
www.polakvanbekkum.com <http://www.polakvanbekkum.com/>

Spektrum:
http://spektrumberlin.de <http://spektrumberlin.de/>

Hybrid Space Lab:
http://hybridspacelab.net <http://hybridspacelab.net/>

Essay reDesigning Affect Space (Open! Platform for Art, Culture and the Public Domain):
www.onlineopen.org/re-designing-affect-space <http://www.onlineopen.org/re-designing-affect-space>

Dates:
Workshop: Friday & Saturday, 12.30 - 17.00, April 14 & 15, 2018
Location: SPEKTRUM
Bürknerstr. 12,
12047  Berlin  >>  U8 Schönleinstrasse

Presentation &  discussion @ Spektrum: Monday April 16, 20.00 - 22.00 (doors open: 19.30).
Location: SPEKTRUM
Bürknerstr. 12,
12047  Berlin  >>  U8 Schönleinstrasse

Participation:
The workshop is open to students and professionals who are interested in and engaged with:
– alternative ways to experience urban space
– binaural sound recording
– field recording
Please send your short (two sentence) motivation to:
contact at polakvanbekkum.com <mailto:contact at polakvanbekkum.com>
Participation is free.

Participation is free of charge, but accommodation and food should be organised by participants themselves.

reDesigning Affect Space is generously supported by Creative Industries Fund NL
http://stimuleringsfonds.nl/en/ <http://stimuleringsfonds.nl/en/>