[spectre] Earth Observation Source: Workshop at Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station, Finland, September 3-5 2017

m at 1010.co.uk m at 1010.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 12:32:04 CEST 2017

EARTH OBSERVATION SOURCE: WORKSHOP AT HYYTIÄLÄ FORESTRY FIELD STATION,
FINLAND, SEPTEMBER 3-5 2017

The Earth Observation Source (EOS) workshop at Helsinki University
Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station sets out to bother and to complicate the
linear stories of deep-time, geology and anthropocenic discourse. EOS
seeks to re-jig the history of the bones and stones with a vitalist
writing of the earth and peat, of whiskies, bogs and tree sap, of
mycelium and the blinded imaginaries of all earthly, airy and
extraterrestrial creatures. We wish to untether planetary futures from
an auto-destructive laboratory planet, exploring in the process how
linear histories and geologies inform instrumental sciences and
industries which are implicated in the initiating of this destroyed
planet through effects such as global warming and technologies of
resource management and extraction.

Within the context of the exciting work of the Hyytiälä Forestry Field
Station in forest and  atmospheric studies and peat-based measurements,
the workshop will explore a more actively aesthetic relation to
planetary phenomena such as climate change and to the measurements and
research which inform the study of these large-scale objects. Through
action and discussion we will ask questions such as:

  	* How can we imagine other non-linear terracentric histories and
geologies informed by re-cyclings and recursions?
  	* What kinds of event impact on, for example, tree ring formation and
how could we have a bodily experience of these instances and events?
  	* How can we immerse ourselves in natural-technical-industrial
cyclings such as of tree fluids, and carbon cycles, sinks and sources?

The workshop will be hosted by Jamie Allen, Martin Howse and Ulla
Taipale with special guests Erich Berger, Mari Keski-Korsu, and Timo
Vesala as part of Shift Register and Climate Whirl.

Practical Details: All participants will be responsible for their own
travel to and from Orivesi (210km from Helsinki by train cost 30 euros
each way) arriving afternoon of the 3rd/leaving afternoon of the 5th,
and for accommodation and food at Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station
(approx. costs for the two days and nights: 130 euros). The workshop
registration is free and we will cover costs of sauna!

Please register with a brief statement of interest to Martin Howse:
m at 1010.co.uk by 16th July 2017. We will inform you as soon as possible
of successful registration (places are limited)!

The workshop forms part of the _Shift Register Earth Observatory Array_
series in cooperation with _Climate Whirl_ by Department of Physics and
Division of Atmospheric Sciences at University of Helsinki, and Capsula.
Shift Register investigates and renders legible the material evidence of
human activities on earth, registering these not as indicators of human
achievement, but as ambiguous negotiations and signposts of planetary
exhaustion. Shift Register is supported by the Swiss National Science
Foundation.

https://www.ixdm.ch/portfolio/shift-register/

http://shiftregister.info/

http://climatewhirl.fi/en