[spectre] Berlin 27.9: TERRY RILEY w/ GYAN RILEY - Tickets on sale

Manuela Benetton manuela.benetton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:07:29 CEST 2016

TERRY RILEY w/ GYAN RILEY - Only German show

September 27, 2016 | Doors 19:00, Concert 20:00
Zionskirche - Zionskirchplatz 10119 Berlin

FB Event <https://goo.gl/rdvS6D>
Tickets <https://goo.gl/w4ncU2>

On September 27, acclaimed American minimalist Terry Riley and his son, the
guitarist , perform their first and only concert in Berlin this year.
Taking place in the resonant space of Zionskirche, the program samples from
both the synthesis of minimalism, jazz, ragtime and North Indian raga that
have come to define Terry Riley's diverse and prolific career, and Gyan
Riley's innovative compositional repertoire.

*"Nothing I have done in this life has given me more satisfaction than
improvising on these songs with Gyan. Nothing I have done can match the
intuitive synchronicity we have shared many times on the stage. Gyan
supplies a brilliant counterpoint to the strands and moods of these pieces
always surprising me with a virtuosity that serves and energizes his
musical invention. I could not have dreamed up a better marriage of mind
and spirit than this collaboration*." - Terry Riley

Cited as influential to everyone from Steve Reich and Philip Glass to The
Who, Terry Riley's polymetric, brightly orchestrated improvisations and
compositions set the stage for a new tonality. His early collaborators
included Pauline Oliveros, Morton Subotnick, Chet Baker and La Monte Young,
and in 1970, he became a student of North Indian classical music, appearing
alongside the revered vocalist Pandit Pran Nath. His works have been
performed by numerous artists and ensembles, among them John Zorn and the
Kronos Quartet, and have received many honors, including a Grammy
nomination.

Gyan Riley is a virtuosic guitarist working across the spheres of
composition, improvisation and contemporary classical music. He has been
commissioned by the Kronos Quartet, the Carnegie Hall Corporation and the
American Composers Forum, and has performed with the extraordinary tabla
player Zakir Hussain, Lou Reed, the San Francisco Symphony and, of course,
his father, Terry Riley.

This concert is presented curator and promoter Manuela Benetton and Rabih
Beaini's Morphine Records. In partnership with The Wire magazine, Spex,
Groove.de