[spectre] New Podcasts on Audiolats

Annick2 anikburo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:02:55 CET 2016

Dear Friends,

Two new podcasts in the "Trust Me, I'm An Artist" (Creative
Europe project) (http://olats.org/trustme/trustme.php)
series on the Audiolats channel on the platform Creative
Disturbance.
They deal with the work "Confronting Vegetal Otherness:
Skotopoiesis", one with the artist, Spela Petric and one
with the curator Jurij Krpan.

http://creativedisturbance.org/channel/audiolats/

I take this opportunity to remind you of two other channels
related to Audiolats on Creative Distrubance that have been
quite productive those last months.
On Meta-Life
(http://creativedisturbance.org/channel/meta-life/), you'll
find bioart related podcasts and on Virtual Africa
(http://creativedisturbance.org/channel/virtual-africa/ ),
podcasts related to art, science, technology and culture on
this continent.
Those podcasts are mostly in English, but some are in French.

Enjoy !
Best
Annick

META-LIFE
http://creativedisturbance.org/channel/meta-life/

 > Interactive Architecture with Philip Beesley
Terranova discusses interactive architecture, synthetic
biology in architecture, and living architecture with Philip
Beesley.

 > Future of Architecture and Synthetic Biology
This podcast talks about the increasing relationships
between biology, computation and architecture. How could
synthetic biology evolve in contact with architecture and
how does it change its aesthetics? By looking at biology as
a technology, SFU PhD candidate Mahsoo Salimi gives some
insight into the possible evolution of architecture and
design with the integration of bioengineered and
bioluminescent materials, just to name a few.

 > Power of Information in the Age of Biotechnology
What can we learn from the regulation of the physical world
when looking at the world of information? Who controls the
technology? What could be the effects of biotechnology on
Nature? These questions are among the important issues that
this podcast addresses with Robert Cunningham, Assistant
Professor at The University of Western Australia and author
of Information Environmentalism: A Government Framework for
Property Rights. Here we touch upon a variety of topics
ranging from the environmental movement to issues of power
and the role of artists in society.

 > From Eugenics to Synbio Design
By looking at the history of Eugenics and Design, Christina
Cogdell questions the cultural values we affect to
biologically designed artifacts and how humans, through that
process, may become mere products. She also takes into
consideration the evolution of technology in relation to the
history of energy and the horizontal gene transfers that
occur between living organisms to balance her
‘techno-pessimistic’ approach.

 > Operational Aliveness with Stelarc
Stelarc comments the various degrees of aliveness running
through his work from his recent robotic choreography
(Propel, 2015) which combines the automated and the
improvised. In reflecting upon the NeoLife conference
opening exhibition Futile Labor (I. Zurr, O. Catts, C.
Salter, D. Wards) that examined shifting perceptions of life
through motion and agency, Stelarc offers elements of
response to the very question of what minimum vocabulary of
behavior or movement is needed to generate a sense of aliveness.

 > L’art du Microbiome
Le microbiome (ou microbiote) désigne l’ensemble des
microorganismes qui vivent sur et à l’interieur de nos
corps. Cet ensemble constitue un microfilm que l’on trouve
chez tous les êtres vivants et dans tous les milieux.
Qu’est-ce que cela nous apprend t-il sur l’individu et la
notion d’espèce ? Est-il possible de se servir de ce
matériel génétique pour créer des oeuvres ? Entre
performance et recherche scientifique, l’artiste-chercheur
François-Joseph Lapointe développe une pratique
expérimentale (paradisciplinaire) où l’art et la science se
nourrissent l’un l’autre.

VIRTUAL AFRICA
http://creativedisturbance.org/channel/virtual-africa/

 > Ephemerality and Cultural Memory in Digital Performances
Born in Trinidad and Tobago, Henry Daniel received his
training as a dancer both in the Caribbean, North America
and Western Europe – which provides him with a specific
relationship to dance and African expressions. I engaged him
in a conversation on the very notion of ephemerality in
dance and the connections between rituals and technology.
The podcast covers a wide range of topics such as
computational and epigenetic memory, neurosciences or
quantum mechanics.

 > A Bid for ISEA 2018 in Durban
Greg Streak is a multimedia artist and Lecturer at Durban
University of Technology. The podcast begins with a short
overview of his own practice and his vision for young
artists in South Africa. Together with other African art
activists, he calls for the first meeting of the
International Symposium of Electronic Arts to take place in
Africa, advocating for the creation of alternative spaces.

 > After Fakugesi. The Post-African Futures Labs
Together with Tegan Bristow and Jepchumba, two leading
figures in the African digital scene and co-founders (with
Christo Doherty) of the now iconic Fakugesi festival, we
share ideas about emerging trends of digital culture and
their ongoing collaboration project with the Post-African
Future Africa labs. “Add the power”.

 > Making Africa, Afropolis and the African Renaissance
A conversation on African Renaissance, through the
Afro-Polis and Making Africa exhibitions that London based
polymath artist and cultural entrepreneur Pierre-Christophe
Gam conceived and helped curated with the ambition to tour
in Europe and Africa.

 > Creative Technology and Soft Power
What role that art and culture can play in Africa ? This is
a question that artist designer and curator Pierre
Christophe Gam addresses in this podcast from his recent
participation to an international symposium on creativity
and economical growth in Abidjan, which also touched upon
issues of cultural diplomacy and soft power.

 > Émoticônes et Diversité Culturelle
Kofi Sika Latzoo est directeur artistique des studios Efixx
à Dakar, leader du chapitre sénégalais auprès de l’IGDA
(International Game Developers Association), responsable du
programme d’innovation de la NASA au Senegal (Space Up
challenge) et co-fondateur, avec Bacely Yorobi, du Game Camp
qui a pour ambition de créer un écosysteme favorable à
l’émergence d’industries logicielles ludiques sur le
contnent africain. Il est surtout question dans ce podcast
de l’implémentation d’émoticônes africains sur la plateforme
sociale Line et du développement des cultures électroniques
en Afrique.

 > A Lovely Weather: Eco-Cancer and Garbage Art
Morgan Trevor lives in Nigeria and uses art to interrogate
his environment. Inspired by the writings of Suzanne Moser
and Lisa Dilling on climate change, he makes use of visual
metaphors to gauge the general public’s awareness and
understanding of environmental issues. He also describes two
of his work series, Eco-Cancer and Garbage In/Out.

 > A Lovely Weather: In Defense of Waste!
Following the first part of our discussion, Trevor describes
two recent works of his series paintings, In Defense of
Waste and Carbone-D. He comes back to both the possible role
of artists in the act of creation and the responsibility of
public institutions in the environmental crisis. He also
shares ideas about the future of green technology in Africa.

 > African Robots
Entirely made of raw materials, Ralph Borland’s robotic art
is inspired by wire works done by local craftsmen with whom
he has developed a collaborative art practice throughout the
years. This episode touches upon topics such as the history
of automata in Africa, the field of ethnomathematics, and
his current research project ‘Global Arenas’ which is an
investigation of Southern contributions to global knowledge.