[spectre] Create! Program! Force to Live!

Annick2 abureaud at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 12:39:45 CET 2015

Dear Friends,

It is my great pleasure to announce the next "Trust Me, I'm
An Artist" event that is taking place in Prague on November
19th 2015.

All info below !

Best
Annick

***************************

CREATE! PROGRAM! FORCE TO LIVE!

"Molding the Signifier" by Ivor Diosi
http://cargocollective.com/_ID_/molding-the-signifier-concept-2-0

Organizer: CIANT – International Centre for Art and New
Technologies
www.ciant.cz in collaboration with Ex Post Cultural Centre
Prague
Host: Ondřej Cakl (CIANT)

Installation: 16th to 19th November 2015 – "Meet the Artist"
on the 18th at 20:00

Ethical Committee panel: 19th November 2015, starting at 19:00

Venue: Ex Post, Příčná 1, Praha 1
http://www.expost.space/map/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1501178796849140/

Language: English

"Molding the Signifier" – a complex digital interactive
installations intertwining organical and digital worlds by
Ivor Diosi.
It deploys an external biological agent to infiltrate and
disrupt the body-mind-ecosystems of virtual humans,
resulting in states that we regular humans can perceive as
mental illness. A well known game character has been chosen
to be deconstructed as a virtual human actor, as this is how
most people today are introduced to and come to know virtual
entities. This is in effect intended as a social commentary
on a culture that is hungry for simulated experiences, yet
is stuck on its own evolutionary conditioning - the problem
described as the “uncanny valley”.
A contaminated biologic culture (an assortment of growing
mold species) is continuously monitored and measured for
data with a digital microscope and a set of bioelectric
sensors. This real-time input is gradually interspersed into
the neuronal logic that governs facial recognition (of
exhibition visitors), and the virtual human
visualization/simulation, combined with procedural emotion
expression and speech synthesis.

CREATE! PROGRAM! FORCE TO LIVE!

----------- Shall the scientific ethics restrain the artists
of experimenting with certain technologies and challenge
their impact?

Towards the future of the manipulation of organic life and
artificial intelligence – exhibition and open expert panel
on ethical issues in science reflected and brought to light
by art. ----------------

The main ethical struggle incorporated in human dealing with
technologies is rooted in the very core of our approach
towards creation of otherness: The human dream of creating
the higher level of intelligence and higher way of being is
shattered by simultaneous eagerness to create only in the
manner of control and exploitation. Technology serves to
rule the all too human world, but then again it could be the
medium of getting out of it to something un-human, higher,
better, artificial. From that point of view the biggest
danger for artificial intelligence is the chance, that it
will most likely be created and „brought to life“ by average
humans. Those who mainly seek, how to use it – as it was
proved by occidental abuse of… well, of everything on planet
Earth, so far.
Ethical restrains of stem cells replication, genetic
manipulations or eugenics could be reduced to a fear of
harming other being or creature. Yes, we do want to play
gods and create new life. Yet no, we do not want to face the
fact of causing the pain by giving life (which is
inevitable) and we don’t want to take responsibility for
that. That’s basically why we set ethical rules against some
procedures or techniques – not to cause pain, which we would
be responsible for.
After all, what we face in medicine, synthetic biology or
genetics nowadays is so tight codex of rules, that it often
prevents effective help ground-breaking research or
innovation – the vicious circle of protection causes pain in
order not to risk it.
Now how this works in case of artificial intelligence?
Because where a rule is, there will always be someone keen
to break it – if only for curiosity. And what if we let the
artist show us, what does it mean to create an artificial
existence base on extrusion of bacteria…? What if he forces
bacteria to live and grow only in order to feed his digital
intelligence simulation (with data)? What if he creates
artificial existence only to let it bitterly wither away in
solitude of communication breakdown…? – Would you be curious
to experience it? Would like to talk with it, or rather only
about it?

CIANT Prague organizes another part of Trust me, I’m an
Artist series. An expert panel on ethical issues in science
reflected and brought to light by art. This time about
ethical consequences of artificial intelligence and
artificial life creation, computer based communication
simulations and violence against the nature.
A group of experts will debate the ethical implications of
the work raised by the new media art installation, and
consider the implications for art, science and society.

Exhibiting artist: Ivor Diosi
Committee members: Anna Dumitriu (UK, Artist), Bobbie
Farsides (UK, Brighton and Sussex Medical School), Claudia
Lastra (UK, The Arts Catalyst), Pavel Stopka (CZ, Charles
University Prague)

Participants of the panel: Pavel Smetana (CIANT), Prokop
Bartoníček (CZ, Ex Post), Annick Bureaud (FR,
Leonardo/Olats), Aleksander Väljamäe (University of Talinn),
Marc Boonstra (NL, Waag Society), Espen Gangvig (NOR, TEKS)

Host: Ondřej Cakl (CIANT)