[spectre] besides, - 3 online performances by Annie Abrahams and Martina Ruhsam

Annie Abrahams bram.org at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 12:20:50 CEST 2015

Next week Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 19h CET (1pm EDT) you are most
welcome to assist in:

besides,
A Turbulence (http://turbulence.org/commissions/besides/) commission with
funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Three online experiments by Annie Abrahams and Martina Ruhsam, who will
investigate the performative potential of computer-mediated performance. By
listening to each other´s gestures (in a visual and acoustic sense) they
will choreograph each other despite being geographically far away from each
other – Annie will be in Montpellier, Martina in Berlin.

19h CET - 1pm EDT - online http://bram.org/besides (find you local time (
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=besides%2C&iso=20150611T19&p1=1263)
)
streaming Ivan Chabanaud / mosaika.tv

Thursday June 11 2015 : besides, the person I am becoming.
Duration 20 minutes. The audience can interact via a chatwindow.
As an assemblage of text-fragments and daily objects this live-performance
is a series of linkages and open relations between words and banal things.
What do words, a pencil and a stone have in common? Does the stone change
when being confronted by a hammer? What changes if it is replaced by a
pill? Does the image of a spoon change the thought or does the thought
change the thing?
Images talk as much as words. A month long, Martina and Annie collected
words and objects – overheard phrases, poetry, academic citations, a piece
of concrete, foam, a photo, a scan. Who says what? What can we understand?
What if?

Friday June 12 2015 : besides, moved by some thing.
Duration undetermined. No interaction with the public.
When facing death or illness all the accumulated knowledge surrounding
these issues is displaced by experiences that can hardly be shared. Can
liminal experiences be communicated verbally?
Annie and Martina recently both had an intimate encounter with death and
illness and noticed it is very difficult to talk about this experience to
others. Some people flee, others need to be reassured. Most art only
touches upon it in a symbolical way.  Annie and Martina will try to
exchange views on the subject. They prepared this meeting individually, and
agreed upon only one rule: the performance will be over when both their
webcams will be black for more than one minute.

Saturday June 13 2015 : besides, Dear Body,
Duration 3 minutes. With public chatwindow, so we can discuss afterwards.
A visual letter to (and from) two breathing bodies – exposing their
fragility, vulnerability, mortality, strength, singularity and anonymity.
Our Bodies are full of History. History is embodied – the skin being the
imaginary boundary between a "you" and a "me".
Dear body, dear body – dear aging body...

There is always something that escapes — some dimension of objects, bodies,
events, and processes that withdraws despite all visual presence.

More information (http://turbulence.org/commissions/besides/) (motivation,
preparations, intentions, context, images, tests, bios)

Hope to welcome you at the performances.
Have a nice summer.

Best
Annie Abrahams