[spectre] #TransActing: A Market of Values - an interview with Marsha Bradfield

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 12:47:47 CEST 2015

Sorry for any cross posting...

#TransActing: A Market of Values - an interview with Marsha Bradfield.

Charlotte Webb interviews Marsha Bradfield of Critical Practice, about
#Transacting – a pop-up market made up of over 60 stall holders invited to
creatively explore and produce alternative economies of value. They discuss
free labour, ‘value’ vs ‘values’ and the aesthetics of participation.

During my visit, I first encountered a neo-liberal zombie academic,
haunting the market with laments over the demise of an expensive
art-education system, which extracts maximum value from students, whilst
encouraging them to sell their creativity back to the market. At Becky
Early and Bridget Harvey’s ‘Mending for Others’ stall, I was taught to
darn, and repaired a hole-ridden Sonia Rykiel hat. Here, mending was framed
as ‘giftivism’, a way to build or reinforce a social bond.

http://bit.ly/1MsQq1t