[spectre] Trust Me, I'm An Artist: new event in Ljubljana and podcasts online !

Annick2 abureaud at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:53:44 CEST 2015

Dear Spectrites,

September starts in quite an active manner for the Trust Me,
I'm An Artist group with Spela Petric performance at the
Kapelica Gallery in Ljubljana and the first podcasts
published on Audiolats on the Creative Disturbance plateforme.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Ljubljana and wish
you a Happy Listening !

Best
Annick

*ŠPELA PETRIČ: ‘Confronting Vegetal Otherness: Skotopoiesis’*

Skotopoiesis is the first performance from the series
attempting plant-human intercognition. In this durational
piece the artist and germinating cress face each other,
illuminated by a light projection. The biosemiosis occurs
through the obstruction of light; the artist’s shadow
contributes to the etiolation of the cress (yellowing,
lengthening), while the time she stands arrested to achieve
this effect results in the shrinkage of the artist, making
visible the effort of this cross-species encounter.

The performance will be followed by a discussion with ethics
committee.

Schedule:
Performance: 10 Sept, 2015, 12 am-12 pm and 11 Sept 10 am – 5 pm
Panel discussion: 11 Sept, 2015, 6-8pm

Location:
Kapelica Gallery
Kersnikova 4
SI-1000 Ljubljana

Link: http://www.kapelica.org/index_en.html#event=1012

The event is produced by Kapelica Gallery and supported by
funding from Creative Europe, Ministry of Culture of the
Republic of Slovenia, Municipality of Ljubljana.

*Trust Me, I'M An Artist: First podcasts available!*

On April 18th 2015 took place Martin O'Brien performance
"Taste of Flesh / Bite Me I'm Yours", the first one of the
"Trust Me, I'M An Artist" project
[http://olats.org/trustme/trustme.php].

Leonardo/Olats is happy to propose the podcasts with the
artist, Martin O'Brien and the curator, Jareh Das, on the
Audiolats chanel on the Creative Disturbance plateform.

Happy Listening !

 > Taste of Flesh / Bite Me I'm Yours, as seen by the artist
[http://creativedisturbance.org/podcast/taste-of-flesh-bite-me-im-yours-as-seen-by-the-artist-meeting-with-martin-obrien-eng/],
meeting with Martin O'Brien
[http://martinobrienperformance.weebly.com/] (in English), 25'03
Interview by Annick Bureaud, on April 19th 2015 in London

Martin O'Brien is an artist and theorist.
He received Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
funding for his PhD at the University of Reading and he has
contributed to several books.
Martin O’Brien’s live art practice uses physical endurance,
disgust and pain-based practices to explore the meaning of
being born with a life threatening disease (cystic fibrosis)
by confronting others’ responses to illness.
His performance work has been presented throughout the UK,
Europe and the US.

 > Taste of Flesh / Bite Me I'm Yours, as seen by the
curator
[http://creativedisturbance.org/podcast/taste-of-flesh-bite-me-im-yours-as-seen-by-the-curator-meeting-with-jareh-das-eng/],
meeting with Jareh Das
[http://www.artscatalyst.org/artist/jareh-das], (in
English), 22'02
Interview by Annick Bureaud, on April 19th 2015 in London

Since 2013, Jareh Das has been working with The Arts
Catalyst as an Arts Humanities Research Council funded Ph.D
student in Curating Art and Science, partnered with the
Geography department of Royal Holloway, University of London.
Das's doctoral research focuses on performing bodies,
audience witnessing, and pain-based practices used by
artists. It considers performances that resists clear
categorisations i.e. focusing on live works that operate at
the intersections of 'art and science' encompassing the
medical, cultural and social.

The project ‘Trust Me, I’m an Artist: Developing ethical
frameworks for artists, cultural institutions and audiences
engaged in the challenges of creating and experiencing new
art forms in biotechnology and biomedicine in Europe’ is led
by artist Anna Dumitriu in collaboration with ethicist
Professor Bobbie Farsides. The project is run by Waag
Society in collaboration with Brighton and Sussex Medical
School, The Arts Catalyst, Ciant, Kapelica Gallery /
Kersnikova, Medical Museion, Capsula and Leonardo Olats.