[spectre] Peter Cusack: Lignite Clouds (Sound Workshop)

Milos Vojtechovsky milos at skolska28.cz
Sun Aug 23 08:29:52 CEST 2015

Call for participation

Peter Cusack: Lignite Clouds (Sound Workshop)

12 September to 13 September 2015

Locations: Most Basin (Horní Jiřetín, Libkovice, Most), Jezeří
Chateau, Mariánské Radčice (accommodation), Czech Republic

Outline: A two-day workshop will focus on the sound environments
around the brown coal industry in Most Basin (North Bohemia). We will
use both listening and making field recordings. We will also use
photography and writing to compare the differences between the sound,
visual and language perspectives on the area.

Program and workshop outcomes
Day 1: We will visit a number of local places to record, photograph
and talk to people there. The places include the coal face of a mine
where the machines are working, the village of Horní Jiřetín, which
is under threat of disappearance because of mine expansion, Libkovice
which has disappeared because of mine expansion, lakes created by
mining and the church at Most, which, some decades ago, was moved from
its original location to save it from demolition.

Day 2: After the visits, we will discuss the material recorded and how
they could be used creatively in the future

About sonic journalism: Recent projects of Peter Cusack have explored
the practice of “sonic journalism’ -- the audio equivalent of
photojournalism. Sonic journalism is based on the idea that valuable
information about places and events is revealed through their sounds
and that careful listening will give insights different from, but
complimentary to, visual images and language

Lecturer: Peter Cusack
Participation is for free

Participants should bring: a sound recorder, microphone, good shoes,
rain coat, and a sleeping bag

Organiser: Školská 28 Gallery (DEAI/Setkání)

Further information: For further information please contact Miloš
Vojtěchovský: milos at skolska28.cz, mobile:+420 608571881.

Registration: The number of participants is limited (max. 15). To
express your interest, please send a short motivation letter in
English (ca, 900 characters) to the following e-mail addresses: dasas at email.cz
, and milos at skolska28.cz.

Deadline for registration: 30 August

http://sounds-from-dangerous-places.org