[spectre] Looking back to a situation in '94

Mathias Fuchs mathias.fuchs at creativegames.org.uk
Mon Apr 13 10:23:10 CEST 2015

John has a point there...
"We are in a situation that demands other models and other behaviors
towards the institutions that impose this form of poverty through
indentured servitude..." (hopkins)

It was not so long ago when artist and non-institutional participants
were considered an asset for festivals and conferences.
I remember that the group of invited artists to 1994 ISEA in Helsinki
threatened the organizers with a boycott, in case we were forced to pay
conference fees.
Our argument was that we 1) did not have the money to pay for
conferences, 2) that our supporting institutions, the arts councils and
embassies would not understand that we have to pay for delivering
artistic work and 3) that these festivals and conferences create income
based on the participants' input.
In the end, none of us paid.

Today?

--