[spectre] I Love to Love: Solo by Adel Abidin at Forum Box

nat muller nat at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 27 12:03:37 CET 2013

++ Adel Abidin - I love to love… ++

1.11.2013 – 24.11.2013

Opening: Thursday, 31 October, 5pm – 8pm

FORUM BOX
Ruoholahdenranta 3a /PL 316
Helsinki

Hours: Tue-Fri 11am-5pm
Sat-Sun 12pm-4pm

www.forumbox.fi

Curator: Nat Muller

 **
“Those standing around would jump up an down, pound their heads, collapse into theatrical swoons, rip their clothes, and shake their fists at the air in futile rage…”
(Barbara Demick with slight adjustment by Adel Abidin)

Forum Box proudly presents I love to love…, Adel Abidin’s eagerly anticipated solo exhibition in Finland after his acclaimed show at Kiasma in 2010. Tina Charles’ 1976 disco hit “I Love to Love (But my Baby Loves to Dance)” is the unlikely backdrop against which Abidin introduces new works that continue to draw on themes such as power relations and violence. In I love to love the charged and intimate setting of a nightclub functions as a stage upon which the dynamics of seeing and blindness, perpetrator and victim, looking and being looked at are played out in sinister ways. The mechanics of capturing and releasing an image, a gaze, a movement, in an atmosphere of surveillance, are trapped and amplified in Abidin’s video and light box installations. Moving to the lightness of a love song, and its rhythm, becomes a treacherous, dark, and disturbingly ambiguous game.

**

Enquiries/press office: Emmi Kattelus T +358(0)96855 0080
emmi.kattelus at forumbox.fi

I love to love…is realized with the generous support of Barjeel Art Foundation (UAE), Kone Foundation (FI), Arts Promotion Centre Finland (FI) and AVEK (FI).