[spectre] dusty mariee live stream :: sick lincoln performance tonight

xname xname at squat.net
Thu May 23 13:11:36 CEST 2013

Hello,

I would like to attract your attention to my new Net art piece 'Dusty
Mariee', commissioned as part of the Barbican Centre's Dancing Around
Duchamp season, and invite you to join the private view happening tonight
in the Net and in my house, a flat in the iconic Balfron Tower in London.

::Where/When::
Live streaming from May 14 to June 9
(take it as a durational performance)

::Private view::
May 23rd H 18 - 21
Featuring:
Site specific performance by Sick Lincoln
live coded sound processing algorithms on the Large Glass
http://sicklincoln.com/
The film 'Who is La Mariee?'
London, and its noise

::How::
Play from the browser here:
http://xname.cc/dusty_mariee
(Firefox and Chrome should work in all platforms)
Point player (videolan, mplayer) to URL:
http://xname.tv:8000/dysty_mariee.ogg

::Interact::
Talk to me:
irc.freenode.net
#dusty_mariee

Come and join us in the Net!

Yours,
xname

http://xname.cc/dusty_mariee

http://blog.barbican.org.uk/post/50996598487/digital-duchamp-dusty-mariee

This event is supported by Queen Mary University of London

Dusty Mariee is a live, continuous, audio-video stream broadcasted to the
Internet from my apartment on the 19th floor of the Balfron Tower, the
iconic example of brutalist architecture designed by Erno Goldfinger
in 1963. The stream represents the large glass that separates my personal
space from the external world, that is to say: private and public life.
The camera focuses on the dust stratifying on the surface of the glass,
while London and the artist inhabiting the flat appear as projections,
phantom shadows over the much more stable, yet ever-changing, image of the
dust, representing time and matter. Contact microphones on the surface of
the window transform the glass into a very powerful long distance zoom: at
random, the construction captures and reproduces the sounds that the city
of London emits through the Net, transforming the glass into a gigantic
microphone, producing a 'sounding' of both audible and visible
multi-scalar dimensions of an environment.

But who, or what, is La mariee?

Dusty Mariee uses a Large Glass,
a contact microphone, a Gumstix,
a Linux Kernel, a Debian server,
Icecast, Gstreamer, Ogg/Theora,
Git, Javascript, the Balfron tower,
a mixer, and some derelict electronics.

Thanks to Antonios Galanopoulos for technical support.