[spectre] Reminder: call for artworks&papers amber art and technology conference 2013

Zeynep Gunduz zgunduz at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 17:56:39 CEST 2013

amber'13 calls are open: "Did you plug it in?"
1-10 NOVEMBER
ISTANBUL 2013

call for artworks and papers
deadline for artworks & papers: 20th of May 2013
submit your work on http:// submissions.amberplatform.org
amberFestival is interested in interactive installations and papers that explore its title

"DID YOU PLUG IT IN?"
 Fool Your Smartness
Smart phones, smart tickets, smart cities, smart buildings, smart living, smart economies, smart moves...
Smart abounds in the market-speak of today's technologically
sophisticated conditions. The ever-growing inflation of smartness,
fostered in large part by the pervasiveness of digital technologies,
hails us from all directions. Smart appears as a strategic device that
qualifies all sorts of acts and objects under the hegemony of the
economy-political logic of consumption, profit and control. New and
ever-smarter products of all kinds pop-up regularly and one risks being
left behind by not heeding the call, the constant invitation to try out
and to consume the latest.

While smartness is praised and suggested as a sort of power to be
possessed, foolishness becomes those moments and spaces in which we
encounter with critical interrogation, creative thinking and
deconstruction. We suggest foolishness as a category of thought and a
tactical positioning to bring out the subversive potential of smart
technologies.
We invite artworks and papers that rethink, open up and resist
foolishness in this year’s festival entitled, “Did you plug it in?”

We see the theme as a tool to think and work with, and the festival
as an opportunity to raise an artistic voice. You alone will define that voice. The works selected among the applications to this international
call, will be exhibited at amber'13 Art and Technology Festival. We also encourage outdoor interactive installations.
For more information see: www.amberplatform.org