[spectre] (fwd) 'It isn’t over, you are still scared' Beyoğlu Salt / Istanbul Biennial 2013 (16 March 2013)

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Thu Mar 21 08:42:03 CET 2013

Datum:     Thu, 21 Mar 2013 03:00:32 +0000
Von:     serhat koksal <serhatkoksal at hotmail.com>

To the press and the public;
A group of activists protested against the “Scared of Murals” exhibition
held at Beyoğlu Salt,

with stencils featuring portraits of Vehbi Koç, Sakıp Sabancı and Şarık
Tara and the slogans “It isn’t over! They are still scared…
”, “We are still here” and “Waiting for the barbarians".
The activists placed their stencils on the floor of the gallery’s foyer
and gave a press statement.

They completed their protest by using their stencils to paint on the
building’s façade.

  http://gozel.tumblr.com/post/45886522633/it-isnt-over-you-are-still
<http://gozel.tumblr.com/post/45886522633/it-isnt-over-you-are-still>

*It isn’t over, you are still scared. *
The biennial was launched with parallel events featuring the art of the
capitalists, along with the opening of debates on "publicness", the
biennial’s main theme. They try to tame every artistic rebellion,
bringing protest art down to their own level. There has been an attempt
to remove all meaning from the artistic images, figures and methods used
throughout the history of this country's political uprisings, and to use
them in art performances directed by capitalists. These barbarians are
barbarically killing each of these images; images that are the
expression of the dreams, carved into public memory, of a “livable
world, rights and equality”. In the past, so many young people with a
brush and paint in their hands paid the price for the slogans they
painted on walls with years in prison or even with their life. At that
time these “murals” were capitalists’ nightmare, their biggest fear; now
they announce that they are no longer afraid of those young hands and
hearts who used their dreams to paint those images on the walls. Even
though nothing has changed, see how the capitalists have developed
compassion. Today, instead of beatings they have chosen love. And they
declare this love to the world through the artistic events of which they
are so proud. Saying “How wonderful for us, for our democracy” is naïve
and turns a blind eye to their hypocrisy. Presented as nostalgic works
of art, these “murals” are now no more than the memories of naughty
children who have been brought to heel by Doğuş Holding. The underlying
message that the capitalists who have brought the economy to the most
brutal level of capitalism are trying to give is that they are no longer
afraid of murals. As though embracing the philosophy of Rumi, they say
"we may drink your blood but our arms are open to your love, whoever you
may be". They say that important artists give their names to these
paintings and they are now mere works of art with no political meaning
left. Time and again they say that the people who then made these
murals, now love money even more than they do. But what they have
forgotten is that although the people who, in another time, made these
paintings became the money-loving artists who are today slaves to
capitalism, the dreams that they abandoned still colour our nights. They
are a legacy; the belief in the idea that it is possible to live
humanely still remains on those walls. It is these dreams that have
brought us here. It is the fighting spirit that is carved on those walls
that has brought us here. These murals that speak of equality in the
world, that say that equality is possible, are now being presented as
"nostalgia” under the sponsorship of a bank that once supported the coup
d'état. We are here because a living thing, a song that is still sung,
can never be nostalgia. It lives on here, in us! That song is still sung
by the youth of today. The spirit that is carved into those walls is not
that of the once naughty, now well-behaved children of the capitalists
but that of the artists who value disobedience.
If a bank that supported the military coup can open tactless exhibitions
that say that they are scared of murals, the reason for this is the
politics of art that has been taken from our control. In this
exhibition, the best example of the idea that “there can be no art
without money”, those who supported the military coup try to downplay
their responsibility. We will not stand for this! We are still ruled by
the patched-up constitution of the coup. Our protest is against the
capitalists who ensured that this constitution would destroy the
country's unions, an act for which they now deny any responsibility. Our
protest is against the fact that Garanti Bank is using art to turn the
political legacy of the struggle of so many artists who created these
murals into nostalgia. The capitalists are those who are really afraid
of these murals and who hold the political power; yet today they have
announced that they are no longer scared of murals. In light of the
parallel events and today's event
on the theme of “We were once organised”, we say to all the artists
involved that we are still organised, we are still here. And we say that
they are still scared of murals. Today’s curators, these children of the
neo-liberal system, try to pay their debts to their creators by
devaluing the past of those who have suffered in the unconfronted
history of this country. We want you to know that we will not remain
silent.

ArtHack
Emek Gençliği
Gündoğusu Sanat Ve Düşün Topluluğu